Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BBS in .44mag

Tell us how you do it
Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: BBS in .44mag

Post by Vaquero » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:17 pm

Mine also split in a similar fashion, they won't send me the tube and insisted I send it to them.
I ended up with a new barrel and tube assembly.

20200218_094306.jpg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Is this happening on the .44 mags only? And what has Henry or anyone else come up with that's causing that. Dang!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:53 pm

their first edition 45-70 had a major problem with it .... so much so that Henry put out a recall on them .... they redesigned the area I haven't heard of an issue since .... we've had several members with 44 Mags mention a problem but the vast majority have no problem whatsoever
0 x

6MT
Wrangler
Canada

Post by 6MT » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:10 pm

So, I got a new mag tube from the Canadian warranty depot. Henry was good enough to e-mail me instructions on how to replace the failed tube. I haven't gotten around to doing it because my shooting schedule has been extremely busy. But it doesn't look too difficult. Here's what they sent me:

Thank you for owning a Henry and I'm sorry to hear you had that trouble Andy.

Ensure the rifle is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction before proceeding.

First, remove the forearm by knocking the mag tube support out(L to R) of the dovetail on bottom of the bbl.
Remove the inner magazine tube and the screws holding the forearm cap.
There is now enough "flex" in the tube to remove the cap support, then the forearm itself.

Next, remove the trigger guard plate on the bottom of the receiver to expose the outer mag tube retaining screw.
Removing that will free the outer mag tube.

When I get around to it, I'll post up some pics and an explanation of the process.
5 x
Andy 6MT

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:12 am

6MT wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:10 pm
So, I got a new mag tube from the Canadian warranty depot. Henry was good enough to e-mail me instructions on how to replace the failed tube. I haven't gotten around to doing it because my shooting schedule has been extremely busy. But it doesn't look too difficult. Here's what they sent me:

Thank you for owning a Henry and I'm sorry to hear you had that trouble Andy.

Ensure the rifle is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction before proceeding.

First, remove the forearm by knocking the mag tube support out(L to R) of the dovetail on bottom of the bbl.
Remove the inner magazine tube and the screws holding the forearm cap.
There is now enough "flex" in the tube to remove the cap support, then the forearm itself.

Next, remove the trigger guard plate on the bottom of the receiver to expose the outer mag tube retaining screw.
Removing that will free the outer mag tube.

When I get around to it, I'll post up some pics and an explanation of the process.
Just wondering if you ever got around to changing the tube out and what your experience was.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 pm

This post seems to reinforce the concern with loading the magazine tube beyond maximum capacity could cause issues during recoil. I am not claiming that is what going here. Just, it supports Henry's guidance of maximum capacity for loading tubes. Even though my H009 tube can hold more than 5 rounds, I stay within Henry's guidance of 5 rounds. Yet, I have only shot about 150 or rounds out of it so far. Hopefully, it will go hundreds more without any issues.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:21 pm

GFK wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 pm
This post seems to reinforce the concern with loading the magazine tube beyond maximum capacity could cause issues during recoil. I am not claiming that is what going here. Just, it supports Henry's guidance of maximum capacity for loading tubes. Even though my H009 tube can hold more than 5 rounds, I stay within Henry's guidance of 5 rounds. Yet, I have only shot about 150 or rounds out of it so far. Hopefully, it will go hundreds more without any issues.
I don't mind only loading three rounds in my 44 mag. because we only hunt with three rounds here in Ohio for deer, but it is bothersome to know that maybe someday, mine too, might split. Because of this problem of Henry rifles in that area, I feel it is a tie between a Henry and Remlin. JMO.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Anything made by man is subject to having issues. A good thing about a Henry is the guarantee. Even if an issue does arise, Henry will address it. After about 5 years with a Marlin, you are on your own. If that makes a difference, I should know in about 20 years. By then, we may have a whole new world. So, it probably will not matter.
Last edited by GFK on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:49 am

GFK wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:03 pm
Anything made by nan is subject to having issues. A good thing about a Henry is the guarantee. Even if an issue does arise, Henry will address it. After about 5 years with a Marlin, you are on your own. If that makes a difference, I should know in about 20 years. By then, we may have a whole new world. So, it probably will not matter.
That is a hundred years. My Grandmother always told me that in a hundred years it ain't going to matter. Life time guarantees are only good so long as a company remains in business. The barrel on my Henry 44 mag has probably the best cut rifling on a bore that I have ever seen, I would hate to see Henry change the barrel because of the split lock-up on the tube. I'd probably get a screwed up tube. Grandma always called me a worry wort too.
1 x
Army Paratrooper
combat jump 2/67