👍👍
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Bore cleaning

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:55 am

A bore snake is my friend. And the only help my gun barrels can look for. Let all do as they please. I don't fear for my guns barrels no more than I shoot. Enjoy and be happy
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:16 am

Mags wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:46 pm
The video series has very good key points. But they are unnecessarily wordy, repetitive and wander.
GunnyGene wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:18 pm
Mags wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:05 pm
I've noticed that when a bore is too clean or too dirty, accuracy suffers. Fouled in between delivers best results.
Here's the science about that. Several in depth videos of what's going on in the bore, starting around Part 37.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vDCIcEPxUn
Yeah, he does ramble on and get a bit preachy in some of his videos, but that's just the way he is. He does know his stuff tho. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:59 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:19 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:30 pm
I just do what works for me and dont worry about what others have said or done. I dont scour my bores but if I have shot lead cast I like to make sure there isnt any leading. I also check for excessive copper if I have been shooting alot of jacketed.
Most of my shooting these days consist of mostly lead, and for the most part is all PC'd.
I still have some lubed bullets that I haven't used up as of yet.
Now when I do swap I confess to using a little Hoppe's, to make sure there isn't any leading.
But other than the 44, the other pistol cal. rifles Only see lead.
I bought the 41 new and it hasn't had a single jacketed bullet down it since it left the factory.
Now the 308 MX and the 2 06's have never seen a cast boolit.

RP
And I'll bet those three rifles shoot just fine. I don't obsess about cleaning, but, like most here, I want the crud out of my firearms.
2 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:08 pm

I have a Savage .223 bolt action rifle that is a tack driver. I starting using just a bore snake. After a while I started having accuracy problems. I finally broke out the brush and solvent. Cleaned a ton of copper out of the bore. Accuracy went back to tack driving. I no longer use bore snakes.

Just my experience.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:35 pm

over time my way of cleaning a firearm's barrel has evolved in a couple of different directions .... my use of cast bullets is dropping and as soon as some I loaded years ago are gone, I have no plan to fire any more .... that will eliminate one concern .... with jacketed bullets much depends on the muzzle velocity and volume .... with high velocities (like our 300 WBY Mag) I run a patch and check for copper residue often .... with slower velocities (like our 44 Mag and 30-30) I go longer between running a patch to check for copper .... if copper is detected, I deal with it first ... if no copper needs to be removed or once it is removed, I run Ballistol soaked patches through until the barrel shines and the patches aren't grimy .... I use Ballistol for both cleaning and lubing .... the last patch finishes the cleaning and leaves a thin lubricating coating .... I have brushes but now that I don't shoot cast bullets, seldom have the need to use them
1 x

jwarrenod
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jwarrenod » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:11 pm

Another Ballistol fan, for all of my firearms, long guns, shot guns and hand guns. Love the way it leaves the metal. I do put some Rem-Oil on blued metal after cleaning and on the furniture too, just before putting them away in the safe.

JW
fortyshooter wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:35 pm
I only use Ballistol! When I get a new gun the first thing I do is spray ONLY the bore down with Brake Clean and then run several patches thru to remove any oils or dirt. Then a run thru with soaked Ballistol patches and then dry patch.
It might be several shooting sessions of use before I check the barrel and run a quick clean with Ballistol thru the bore.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm going to keep doing what I've been doin' for years and if I ruin a gun I'll fix it or buy a new one.
Jake
3 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 pm

Me to Jake, and I think it was Al said something very similar,
just do what works for you and not worry about what others say or do.
Still have my first 30-30 and it's pretty darn accurate after 35 years of shootin and cleaning.

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:54 am

It your loads shoot clean it shouldn't need any more than a oil wipe down....bore snake with Ballistol every now and then.
3 x