Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fitting a new stock

Tell us how you do it
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Fitting a new stock

Post by clovishound » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Some of may have seen my post in the lounge about an early Christmas present. For those who haven't, I got an all in one Boyds thumbhole stock for my Weatherby Vanguard I. I've got it mounted now, but the barrel is tight on one side.

For now I will just take it to the range and re sight it in at 25 yds and wait til hunting season is over to do anything else. Probably will be only two trips to the woods until then.

My question is this, should I just relieve the tight spot and call it good, or should I go for a full bedding procedure? I've never done that before.

I'm tempted to relieve it, and then check accuracy. FWIW, the original synthetic stock is not designed to be free floating.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Fitting a new stock

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:27 pm

please don't take a word that I say about this as a recommendation because I have no clue .... I do know what I'd do if it was mine .... I'd test fire it as is .... if its accuracy proved to be OK for my need, I'd go with it for what little is left in the season .... if the accuracy wasn't OK, I'd hunt with a different rifle .... having no skill in this area, after the season I'd find someone who does and let him fix it
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:30 am

That's pretty much what I'm planning on doing. After looking at my work schedule next week, I have to go from two more days hunting to one. And now that one may not materialize. :(
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:03 am

I agree with JEBar try it at the range for accuracy and find someone who knows more than me to fit the stock.
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Well, I just got back from the range. I had the scope dialed in to 100 yds. I took one shot, a couple inches low. Adjusted the scope and put the next three rounds into the same hole. I called it good and packed up.

The only issue was I had trouble with the follower in the blind mag binding. I got home and loosened up the stock and re-tightened everything up. All was good. I double checked, and even though the left side of the barrel is much closer to the stock than the right, it will still pass a thick piece of paper without binding.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:44 pm

clovishound wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:14 pm
Well, I just got back from the range. I had the scope dialed in to 100 yds. I took one shot, a couple inches low. Adjusted the scope and put the next three rounds into the same hole.
a good ways beyond OUTSTANDING .... sure hope the hunt works out .. :D
0 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:50 pm

Love those Boyd's stocks! I got one for moms day!
0 x
I never take myself seriously....

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:11 am

Dahliathemeh wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:50 pm
Love those Boyd's stocks! I got one for moms day!
Which one, and for what gun?
0 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:18 pm

My Marlin model 60, sky laminate. Its the hunter something...
0 x
I never take myself seriously....

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:00 pm

Did a little fiddling with the stock today. I took a very small amount off in a couple locations and was able to center up the barrel in the forearm portion of the stock. Assuming this hasn't changed the accuracy I got the other day, I'm much happier with this now that it looks like the stock properly fits. Barrel has good clearance all the way up to where it begins to flare for the chamber.

I did some thinking about the magazine follower hanging up, and decided that the mag well wasn't fully inserted when mounting the action to the stock and the edge of the follower was trapped between the action and the mag well. I think being careful about this when assembling will keep it from happening again.
1 x