Tell us how you do it
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Removing scratch in Brass?

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:02 am

Mags wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:41 pm
You'll notice that on Henry's centerfire rifles that most times when the case is ejected it pivots off the ejector and slaps into the outside of the receiver behind the eject port. My Henry brass .30-30 has a few rounds through it now and the side of the receiver is peppered in tiny 'flea tracks' from the cases bouncing off it.

Interesting ... is that just common with their 30-30 bottleneck type brass .. :?: .. I haven't noticed it with our straight wall 357, 44, and/or 45-70 centerfires
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:03 am

Been enjoying the choices folks are expressing on BB bronze care. Been there-done that during the years I had my first Henry BBB .357 magnum. I started out fighting those mosquito dive bombers & patina by maintaining these results with Flitz care for the bronze. When I took these photos, the rifle was three years old, and had been at outdoor ranges a lot and on two December deer hunts. There was a lot of time and attention to detail to keep this look and the mosquitos at bay.

Bronze Glow1_DSCN1233.jpg
Bronze Glow2_DSCN1232.jpg
Bronze Glow3_DSCN1241.jpg
Bronze Glow4_DSCN1240.jpg
Bronze Glow5_DSCN1238.jpg
Bronze Glow6_DSCN1236.jpg
Bronze Glow7_DSCN1235.jpg
Bronze Glow8_DSCN1234.jpg

Back then there were thread chats and similar suggestions on allowing the patina to pattern the bronze. I tried the patina route and liked it. So I'd opt for letting that happen. Still and most importantly, it is your choice. Both ways are excellent and it's best with what pleases your eye.

PT7
RanchRoper wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:06 pm
A nice dull, aged patina will hide the scratch...
Mags wrote:
I would leave it alone.
Alex wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:38 am
... Its not deep .. guess I could just leave it alone but if there is a light buffing compound I would go for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:30 am

I don't have and don't anticipate having a pony in this race but must say, thanks for the detailed pictures .... truly a beautiful rifle
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:36 am

I haven't saved any of video links. But there is a sidegate video I remember that a portion ran in slow motion and you can see the spent case pivot coming out and bouncing off the side of the receiver. If I remember correctly, in video they were shooting .38-55. I commented on this earlier in the sidegate topic. I've see this behavior in the HenryTV and Hickock videos as well.
JEBar wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:02 am
Mags wrote:
You'll notice that on Henry's centerfire rifles that most times when the case is ejected it pivots off the ejector and slaps into the outside of the receiver behind the eject port. My Henry brass .30-30 has a few rounds through it now and the side of the receiver is peppered in tiny 'flea tracks' from the cases bouncing off it.
Interesting ... is that just common with their 30-30 bottleneck type brass .. :?: .. I haven't noticed it with our straight wall 357, 44, and/or 45-70 centerfires
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:39 am

You got me drooling and heart poundings with all that gorgeous shiny brass! You did SUPER job on that.
PT7 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:03 am
Been enjoying the choices folks are expressing on BB bronze care.

Bronze Glow1_DSCN1233.jpg

Bronze Glow2_DSCN1232.jpg

Bronze Glow3_DSCN1241.jpg

Bronze Glow4_DSCN1240.jpg

Bronze Glow5_DSCN1238.jpg

Bronze Glow6_DSCN1236.jpg

Bronze Glow7_DSCN1235.jpg

Bronze Glow8_DSCN1234.jpg
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:48 pm

PT7 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:03 am
Been enjoying the choices folks are expressing on BB bronze care. Been there-done that during the years I had my first Henry BBB .357 magnum. I started out fighting those mosquito dive bombers & patina by maintaining these results with Flitz care for the bronze. When I took these photos, the rifle was three years old, and had been at outdoor ranges a lot and on two December deer hunts. There was a lot of time and attention to detail to keep this look and the mosquitos at bay.

Back then there were thread chats and similar suggestions on allowing the patina to pattern the bronze. I tried the patina route and liked it. So I'd opt for letting that happen. Still and most importantly, it is your choice. Both ways are excellent and it's best with what pleases your eye.

PT7
Your gun looks AMAZING! Thank you so much for posting the pix.
I have been reading threads for days here and on other forums about the Henry and maintaining. Found a bunch of threads on the Patina look and .. it was intriguing!! I can certainly see the appeal.

I read the link to the "Scratches" thread but to be honest all I came away with was .. its all terrible dont use anything but Ren wax. I love ren wax and have a tin but I first need to polish up the surface before I seal it in with ren wax.

I took it out today and yup got the small dings from the ejecting. Hadnt noticed before. So while I may go patina in the future .. I am still in the honey moon phase and would like to keep her shinny.

Most of the info I gathered on other boards mentioned Flitz as well as never dull so I will give one of them a go. Then either renwax or paste wax on the whole gun. Is there only one FLitz or are there different formulations?

It was great fun shooting it today though and it attracts a lot of attention from you lane neighbors!!
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:37 pm

Alex wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:48 pm
It was great fun shooting it today though and it attracts a lot of attention from you lane neighbors!!
ain't that the truth .... 8-)
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:58 pm

Glad you're enjoying your Henry rifle.

I don't know the answer to your Q about different Flitz formulations. But here is one other Henry thread which has a response from a Henry technician on using Flitz to maintain the shiny bronze. It does include one caution. Trust this will also be helpful. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... itz#p47180

PT7
Alex wrote:
I have been reading threads for days here and on other forums about the Henry and maintaining. Found a bunch of threads on the Patina look and .. it was intriguing!! I can certainly see the appeal.

Most of the info I gathered on other boards mentioned Flitz as well as never dull so I will give one of them a go. Then either renwax or paste wax on the whole gun. Is there only one FLitz or are there different formulations?

1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:49 pm

There are at least 5 formulations of Flitz.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ish#p63501
Alex wrote:
... Is there only one FLitz or are there different formulations?
0 x

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Thought I would come back and share my experience. I ordered the Flitz in the grey tube. I imagine it is their standard formula.

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-Plastic-Fi ... ods&sr=1-2

it is not nearly aggressive enough to remove any scratches but

it makes the brass look AMAZING!!

I made sure to be careful around the blued screws but I was shocked to see how filthy the rag was after using it on what I thought was already a pretty shiny receiver. It then of course lead to be flitzing all of the brass and man oh man you can use it for a mirror.

Well .. then it lead to cleaning and waxing all the wood and using a dozen or so q tips to get the tough to reach spots and ... well after almost 3 hours ... what I thought was already a beautiful rifle is now a work of art .. but

How the hell do I go shoot it now!! :)
1 x