Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bore Brush

Tell us how you do it
BB357
Tenderfoot
Ireland

Bore Brush

Post by BB357 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:49 am

What is the best brass bore brush to use with the BB H006M ? Also what is a good non metal rod to use? I plan on cleaning from the breach to the muzzle as this seems to be the recommended way. Many thanks for your guidance for a newbee. John
0 x
JCB
South Carolina

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Bore Brush

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:26 pm

Welcome to the Forum from the Show-Me-State, BB357.

I have the identical Henry rifle. I'm not sure if I have the "best" brass bore brush out there, but I'm quite satisfied and mostly use either a Hoppe's or ProShot. Those work well for me. I'd suggest that you search on the web for bronze brushes, and maybe try out some other brands. I'm certain your LGS has a selection, as well. You might find a better "like" in your opinion.

Sorry, but I don't have a "non-metal rod" to suggest. I use a regular metal rod --- carefully --- from the muzzle end. Works fine, and no issues over the years. A bore snake does a "quick clean" from the breach end, so that might be a start for you.

Trust this helps a little. Be safe & keep clean! ;)
0 x

~Пока~

BB357
Tenderfoot
Ireland

Post by BB357 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks PT7 due you use a brush sized for .38. Or does Hoppes have a specific one for.357
0 x
JCB
South Carolina

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:00 pm

.357 magnum/.38 special are same size.

BB357 wrote:Thanks PT7 due you use a brush sized for .38. Or does Hoppes have a specific one for.357
0 x

~Пока~

BB357
Tenderfoot
Ireland

Post by BB357 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks that's what I thought but wanted to get from an expert before getting the BigBoy .357 and cleaning stuff
Thanks again John
0 x
JCB
South Carolina

Whiskeyshooter
Tenderfoot

Wipe out

Post by Whiskeyshooter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:20 am

"Wipe out". amazing product

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipe-out/
Last edited by Whiskeyshooter on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Whiskeyshooter
Tenderfoot

Re: No Brush, just wipe out.

Post by Whiskeyshooter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:24 am

I used the standard Bore bushes for years, I was recommended by fellow shooters to try "Wipe-Out. Fantastic product. No need for any brushes and cleans to a sparkling conditions. I usually follow through with one swipe from a bore snake. I use it for all my Powders, Pistol, Rifle, Shotguns. You cannot get your barrel as clean as wipe out.

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipe-out/

PS sorry for the double post.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:31 pm

If you plan on only cleaning from the breach you will have only two options. You can either use a pull through brush, or tear down the gun every time you clean the rifle. I would not recommend the latter.

I am intrigued by the pull through brushes, but unfortunately, I like jags, so it is not a good option for me. I suppose I could use the pull through for the brush, and then switch to a conventional rod for patches using a jag. The pull through would also solve your non metallic issue, as the cables I have seen are encased in plastic.

I don't see a real problem with cleaning from the muzzle. I clean from the breach when I can, but I have too many weapons that don't allow that without extensive disassembly. One of these I bought new in 1976 and have cleaned it from the muzzle after every range trip. I have done nothing else to this weapon but shoot, and clean it. Oh, I did replace the magazine once.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya