Re: Cleaning a SA revolver

Post by markiver54 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:56 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:49 pm
GFK wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:38 pm
North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:22 am
. . . where you place your finger on the trigger can affect point of impact, even windage.
Interesting that you pointed that out. I had been working on zeroing my 1894C and have been shooting a little to the right. After soon reach, I can across these graphs. Now, I am focusing more of finger placement, before I make any adjustments for windage. Due to a heavy trigger pull, I have noticed that I use more of the old-style when shooting my 1894C. So, I plan to keep shooting it, until the fire control wears in. Then, I suspect the pull will be lighter. I noticed that it is a bit lighter (about 350 rounds later) on my 336W now. My H009 seems to be oaky. It seems to have a smooth predicable pull. But, I seem to use the old-style with it also.

T-Pull.png
FingerPlacement.jpg
Great posts, when I first got back into handgun shooting I bought a S&W M&P and was sure there was something wrong with it, I could barely keep my shots on the target. Talked to a guy at the LGS where I bought it, showed him my grip and he said try moving your trigger contact to the middle of your finger pad ( I was using position 3) and it was like magic, no other changes and my accuracy was greatly improved.
That is encouraging Dave, can't wait to try it! Unfortunately, today it's pouring rain and wind is about 30mph and gust potential of 50-60 mph.
Not a good day to shoot. :(
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Mark, there are a variety of grips that folks use to shoot plow grip single actions, so that's your call. The critical thing with any grip, though, is consistency, shot after shot. Given that the old plow handle on a traditional single action revolver doesn't exactly lend itself to this kind of consistency, I took a look at the grip the cowboy action people use for shooting and it's almost always pinkie under the grip. I switched to this years ago and it has improved my accuracy. I now use it on all my plow grip single actions, even the heavy 44 mag stuff.

The CAS folks go pinkie under to keep the grip from sliding in their hand for fast follow up shots as they work the hammer, but they also go pinkie under for the sake of consistency. The good news is that a Single Six or Single ten will put the pinkie under the grip, naturally for most folks.

Again, there's no one accepted right way to grip a plow handle six shooter. Just be sure that whatever grip you use, you use for every shot, same as when shooting any kind of handgun.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:14 pm

Mags wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:01 pm
. . . Had not even considered finger placement . . .
GFK wrote:
... I can across these graphs. Now, I am focusing more of finger placement,...
I had not considered finger placement either. When I shot semi-autos (.45 ACP, 9mm, M14 or M15) or my .357 in single action mode, I used position 2. But, I use position 3 (old-style) when I shoot my level actions or my .357 in double action mode. I did not think about it. I just used whichever position allowed for the most trigger control.

When I was zeroing my 1894C, I was shooting to the right. I figured it was me or the rifle. I was not crazy about adjusting the rear sight. So, I wanted to make sure it was not me first. I was looking at a video about basic marksmanship, and the instructor said something that caught my attention. Words to the effect: I will help you when you figure out what you are doing wrong. The question for me became, how do you figure out what you are doing wrong when you don't know what you are doing wrong? I thought the instructor must knew that the students could figure it out. So, I went searching and found the graph below. After founding the chart below, I came across the other two charts. It seems like it made sense. So, I thought I would give it a try.

T-PullChart.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:25 pm

GFK wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:14 pm
Mags wrote:
GFK wrote:
I had not considered finger placement either. When I shot semi-autos (.45 ACP, 9mm, M14 or M15) or my .357 in single action mode, I used position 2. But, I use position 3 (old-style) when I shoot my level actions or my .357 in double action mode. I did not think about it. I just used whichever position allowed for the most trigger control.

When I was zeroing my 1894C, I was shooting to the right. I figured it was me or the rifle. I was not crazy about adjusting the rear sight. So, I wanted to make sure it was not me first. I was looking at a video about basic marksmanship, and the instructor said something that caught my attention. Words to the effect: I will help you when you figure out what you are doing wrong. The question for me became, how do you figure out what you are doing wrong when you don't know what you are doing wrong? I thought the instructor must knew that the students could figure it out. So, I went searching and found the graph below. After founding the chart below, I came across the other two charts. It seems like it made sense. So, I thought I would give it a try.

T-PullChart.png
There's a variation of that target that's easier to understand. ;)

1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:34 pm

Mags wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:12 pm
I tried the egg holding thing the other day and noticed that my middle finger twitches with my trigger finger. Not sure how to overcome that (or if it matters). Think that is the way the tendons in my hand are wired.
It may or may not matter for you. But sometimes just being aware of a problem is 90% of the remedy. In your case, your subconscious may be your friend. ;)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:13 pm

I shoot my revolver with pinky under the grip. But as I have mentioned before, my best shooting happens when I don't overthink it. Just shoot.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:15 pm

GFK wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:22 am
. . . where you place your finger on the trigger can affect point of impact, even windage.
Interesting that you pointed that out. I had been working on zeroing my 1894C and have been shooting a little to the right. After soon reach, I can across these graphs. Now, I am focusing more of finger placement, before I make any adjustments for windage. Due to a heavy trigger pull, I have noticed that I use more of the old-style when shooting my 1894C. So, I plan to keep shooting it, until the fire control wears in. Then, I suspect the pull will be lighter. I noticed that it is a bit lighter (about 350 rounds later) on my 336W now. My H009 seems to be oaky. It seems to have a smooth predicable pull. But, I seem to use the old-style with it also.

T-Pull.png
FingerPlacement.jpg
I am missing that whole first knuckle on the trigger finger since 2011 so had to modify my style considerably.... :roll:
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:34 pm

I think mine, with middle finger twitch, falls into the 'Tightening Fingers' since my POIs are usually low and left. But arm chair analysis, starring at my trigger finger, I 'think' I use old school. Which should be POI low and left. I doeknow. Maybe I should get the Uberi out and see what I actually do.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:39 pm

GFK wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:14 pm
Mags wrote:
GFK wrote:

T-PullChart.png
GFK, don't know where you're finding these graphs, but they do make sense to me. thx.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:59 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:39 pm
GFK, don't know where you're finding these graphs, but they do make sense to me. thx.
Most times, I just use search words of things I want to know. And, things start popping up. One things leads to another. And, I usually find something that I can use. In this case, I probably used words like "correcting point of impact" or "shooting to the right."
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).