Tell us how you do it
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Cleaning a SA revolver

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:11 am

Mags wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:34 pm
I think mine, with middle finger twitch, falls into the 'Tightening Fingers' since my POIs are usually low and left. But arm chair analysis, starring at my trigger finger, I 'think' I use old school. Which should be POI low and left. I doeknow. Maybe I should get the Uberi out and see what I actually do.
Also, if you use a 2 hand grip you'll need to be aware of what's going on with both hands.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 am

I guess that I should have mentioned it. But the chart before is for right-hand people. And, this one is for left-hand people.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:16 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:11 am
Mags wrote:
I think mine, with middle finger twitch, falls into the 'Tightening Fingers' since my POIs are usually low and left. But arm chair analysis, starring at my trigger finger, I 'think' I use old school. Which should be POI low and left. I doeknow. Maybe I should get the Uberi out and see what I actually do.
Also, if you use a 2 hand grip you'll need to be aware of what's going on with both hands.
Good point Gunny!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:36 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:16 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:11 am
Mags wrote:
Good point Gunny!
There's a lot of different grip techniques and modifications of the basic Weaver/Isoceles/etc., to the point that it becomes confusing. I've tried out many of them, and learned not to be shy about modifying popular ones to suit me. :) Some can be used with pistols and revolvers. Experiment, and don't let anyone tell you you're doing it wrong. You don't need to please anyone other than yourself. :)

See that small badge in my avatar? That was 10 years of firing high expert with an issue 1911 using the now antique "cup & saucer" grip, and/or one handed facing 90* away from the target and sighting over my right shoulder. :)

Here's one you may not have seen. It's a variation of the Weaver developed by the USMC for the M9 from MCRP 8-10B.3.

https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publi ... 105117-183

1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:20 pm

Good information to learn and practice. Thanks!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Back to cleaning...I put about 60 to 70 rounds through my new Rugers Single 10, two days ago. Went to clean it and everything went well, except, the lead fouling on the front of the cylinder. Soaked in Ballistol over night and made no difference. I even used a nylon brush. Went back to the LGS yesterday, and got a SSteel cleaner rag. The fouling came off like chalk off of a chalk board.
20191026_122418.jpg
This is what it looked like after just soaking and nylon brushing.After using the rag, it came up shiny new looking.
Sorry no after pic yet...having puter problems
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:05 am

I doubt that's lead. Looks like just the typical powder burn from hot gas. Should have the same on the top strap.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:34 am

I doubt that's lead. Looks like just the typical powder burn from hot gas.
This is correct - it's not lead.
The bullet passes through the cylinder and does not make contact with the face of it.
Common powder burn more noticeable on a stainless steel gun.

Is this your First stainless steel gun?
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:30 am

Mistered wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:34 am
I doubt that's lead. Looks like just the typical powder burn from hot gas.
This is correct - it's not lead.
The bullet passes through the cylinder and does not make contact with the face of it.
Common powder burn more noticeable on a stainless steel gun.

Is this your First stainless steel gun?
It's possible there could be some molecular lead in the mix if he's using soft lead ammo, but you'd have to do a chemical analysis to find out. Quality plated ammo is better - CCI, etc. I'd also check the cyl. gap since he's got it all cleaned up. IIRC Ruger spec is .004"-.009". Narrower is better to control spitting & yields a little faster MV than a wide gap, but changing that is a job for a good gunsmith. :)
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:56 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:05 am
I doubt that's lead. Looks like just the typical powder burn from hot gas. Should have the same on the top strap.
Sorry...don't know why I said lead; I meant powder fowling, and yes, it was on the top strap and a bit on the cylinder. Those areas wiped right off though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry