Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A fun Afternoon

Tell us how you do it
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

A fun Afternoon

Post by Mistered » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Well, I finally got around to a complete teardown of my 1899 Winchester Mod 94 for a major cleaning. This was mostly due to to mainspring screw that would not budge due to rust so I removed the rear stock and set the tang in a small bottle of Hoppes # 9 to soak for a couple weeks and this afternoon the screw backed out like it was new.
When I removed the forestock and mag tube I discovered the beautiful bluing you see - 119 years was not so bad in this area but not the rest and I finally tried the 'Penny trick' I have read about many times to remove small rust spots/areas and it worked great.
If you have never heard of the 'penny trick' it is to use a COPPER penny with solvent to buff off small, light areas of rust and it works WELL!
You simply use the penny as a light buffing tool and it removes light rust without destroying the bluing.
I have got the barrel and mag tube looking as well as they are going to so on to the internal parts tomorrow and hopefully reassembly as well!
Yes, that is Serial # 149,219 you see!
IMG_1702.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: A fun Afternoon

Post by markiver54 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:02 am

Nice to know the penny trick!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:45 am

nicely done .... just curious, how dirty were the innards Model 94 .... what parts showed signs of wear .... any clue if it has been lightly or heavily used ... :?:
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:09 pm

what parts showed signs of wear .... any clue if it has been lightly or heavily used ... :?:
It looks like new on the inside. all edges to parts sharp and clear - This rifle did not get much use.
I bought it from a guy who got it from his father and he told me it had sat in a closet for about the last 50 years!
It had a moderate amount of old, dried lube & powder residue but that scrubbed out with some effort. Kinda hard to get into the nooks and crannies of a lever gun receiver! Heck I have seen worse on newer guns.
Not a great pic but part of the interior of the receiver. You can kind of see it's condition. This is the locking bolt channel and a you can see it is sharp and unworn.
IMG_1705[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Looks nice!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:43 pm

very nice indeed ... a truly remarkable find and its a keeper
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:03 am

very nice indeed ... a truly remarkable find and its a keeper
Actually I have it up for sale - not in any hurry or real serious but if someone was to pay my 'top dollar' asking price or possibly offer me something in trade I am looking for I could let it go.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:55 am

Update:
Winchester back together this morning and working excellently.
Now that all parts are clean with light lube it is very tight yet smooth - it has that 'new gun' feel in the action like it needs to be cycled a lot to smooth it up.
I think all the dried grease and powder deposits (what little there was) had hardened around the moving parts and had sort of 'plasticized' and gave it an odd smooth feel in the cycling and lockup. Now the cycling feels much more 'sharp' and positive as everything is now 'seating' properly.
1 x