Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BBB RE-assembly

Tell us how you do it
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

BBB RE-assembly

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Well after a complete disassembly (down to barrel and frame) I scrubbed every nook and cranny and disassembled all components for a thorough cleaning as well as inspect for any burrs or rough spots requiring polishing or smoothing.
Overall I was pretty impressed with all the internals. They were all very sharp and clean and fit very well. I did find a slight burr on the edge of the carrier tang and I gave the sides a light stoning to remove them and smooth it up.
What impressed me the most is none of the parts have to be installed under any spring tension - I.E. the part (if it has a spring) can be installed and the spring installed as a second step. There are essentially only three springs that require removal for a complete disassembly as it is - the sear/rocker spring, trigger lock spring and the locking bolt spring.
Basically there are only four components that make up the internal assembly - the bolt assembly, the carrier, the locking bolt and the trigger guard plate assembly and once all sub assemblies are completed its five minutes to a cycling action.
While apart I tried to do my best to polish the receiver and all I had was Brasso and the receiver material was pretty resistant to it and while I got some of the luster back the Brasso wouldn't touch some of the small scratches and spots on it so I did my best, buffed it and called it good. I might try this again with something different like Nevr-Dull but another time.
While I was at it I gave the ejector spring (which is a leaf spring) a slight bend outward to stiffen it up a bit and ejection is much more positive now and I suspect any rifle with weak ejection could benefit from this.
There were no doubt a couple things I did not care for but nothing that would ever inhibit function and mostly just personal issues for me.
I have much more respect for Henry after this 'project' and saw nothing I would call 'junk' or any weak points in parts or design that concern me.
It is a somewhat very simple 'modular' design with little to go wrong - but easy to repair if anything does.
4 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: BBB RE-assembly

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Good to read about. Don't suppose you have pictures of all those parts and sub assemblies?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Don't suppose you have pictures of all those parts and sub assemblies?
Actually yes - a couple anyway I took in case I needed a 'reminder' on how to reassemble something ! Pictures have 'saved' me many times!
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Interesting read. Thanks.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:22 pm

Good, how about sharing them?
Mistered wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:29 pm
Don't suppose you have pictures of all those parts and sub assemblies?
Actually yes - a couple anyway I took in case I needed a 'reminder' on how to reassemble something ! Pictures have 'saved' me many times!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:53 pm

IMG_1633[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:35 pm

An enjoyable project....good job. Reminds me of the time I completely dis-assembled my Benelli 12-ga pump shotgun. Yes, definitely a "simpler" firearm to work with than a Henry lever-action. But the challenge was a lot of fun. And knowing all about the insides seemed to make it easier to use.

Best part of the re-assembly for me was that everything worked again just fine! Pump and fire were perfectly in sync. :)
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks for sharing. Love mechanical intricacies. Good ole school pink there too.
Mistered wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:53 pm
IMG_1633[1].JPG
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 am

Nice attempt at a pink range towel but no cigar.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:48 am

Nice attempt at a pink range towel but no cigar.
Actually just 'luck of the draw' out of the shop rag box!
0 x