Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First World Problems - EIGHT Guns Lined Up for Cleaning...

Tell us how you do it
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

First World Problems - EIGHT Guns Lined Up for Cleaning...

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Our two days of shooting last week with the KC group entailed running through eight firearms in 2 days: 2 shotguns, 2 Uberti revolvers and 4 Henry rifles (2 Single shots and 2 Levers).

Hard to figure where to start, so it was "first up, first out," with the shotguns getting some TLC first (they were the first to be shot, so fair is fair). Pretty easy, really. Some bore-snaking, patch-running, detailing and done! That was three days ago. Busy since then, so this morning rolled around...

Next were the 2 Uberti siblings. Way more involved, but still pretty easy. By the time I got to the 2nd one, I almost had it figured out.

Since the morning was slipping away and the garage workshop was heating up, time to knock out the Single Shots. Kinda like Shoguns with skinny bores. Done and done.

The levers will have to wait until tomorrow. The good news is, each and every one of them brought back great memories of last week. It was a hoot of a shoot.
9 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: First World Problems - EIGHT Guns Lined Up for Cleaning...

Post by Cofisher » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Yeah, I did the quick clean Thursday night. Detailed cleaning soon. Only 4 guns tho.

Thanks for helping me get more knowledge of the options available. The single shot 308 is looking better all the time.

Jim made sure we got a taste of the Big Bang, didn't he? And Bobs revolvers were amazing.

I'm all in favor of doing it again, in cooler weather. Ha
3 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Call me crazy but cleaning guns is like me cleaning my ride when I had it. It is, to me, almost a zen moment. I looked forward to both tasks. My mind is really not there, as it is all muscle memory for me. I solve a lot of the world problems during this time. Just me. :)
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:58 pm

I had the least number of firearms to clean compared to anyone else! Probably because my gun cabinet is quite small. ;)

That said, Evan did hit it on the head when the cleaning session was a great reminder of both the shooting session, and all the fun we had together. "Hoot of a shoot" just begins to touch on how much fun.👍

One thing came back to mind of our shooting, as it was a surprise to me. Three other members of the Henry Forum now also know the most excellent sight system that is on my 1874 Russian 45 Colt. Looking at the small v-notch on top of the frame, most people would say "No way that is gonna work." I think in another thread I said that the rear sight "was almost the deal breaker for me" before I got this top break revolver. Along with shooting the pleasant 45 Colt caliber, the "little v" is just about the best feature on this gun. It was cool to get that "confirm" from the other fellows, and now that is in the 'ole memory banks! :D

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:30 pm

What the heck you retired guys don't have anything better to do than eat fish take a nap and clean your toys. Life is good.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 pm
Yeah, I did the quick clean Thursday night. Detailed cleaning soon. Only 4 guns tho.

Thanks for helping me get more knowledge of the options available. The single shot 308 is looking better all the time.

Jim made sure we got a taste of the Big Bang, didn't he? And Bobs revolvers were amazing.

I'm all in favor of doing it again, in cooler weather. Ha
What the heck Cofisher everyone needs a Single shot. At least one anyway. Never heard anything out of Jim if he liked shooting it or not.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:42 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:30 pm
What the heck you retired guys don't have anything better to do than eat fish take a nap and clean your toys. Life is good.
Oh, you can bank on it! I've said before; best job I could ever want. Ok, back to the loading bench.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:40 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:42 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Oh, you can bank on it! I've said before; best job I could ever want. Ok, back to the loading bench.
As of last week, officially semi-retired. In addition to our little real estate biz, I've started part time with the local Parks & Rec. "Supervisor" at a very nice facility that has a "SplashPad" and pickleball courts in the summer, then converts to an ice-skating rink in the fall/winter. So far, so good.

Low stress, nice surroundings, go outside whenever it suits me, deal with the public (who are nice, young families for the most part) and keeps me busy. Have also been binge-watching Parks and Recreation on Netflix, which puts it all in perspective. Gotta love Nick Offerman.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Retirement is a good thing, Al.

It is actually turning a page for a new time in life, a renaissance one could say. I graduated hundreds of students in my career as a registrar, attended dozens of commencements, but never got to leave campus like the grads did. Finally, I graduated myself, and printed my own diploma with the award, "Ready for Retirement." :D Hurrah, I was able move forward with that last group of spring graduates, to transition away from the work that "ruled" so many hours of each day. I am still learning how to schedule my own calendar nowadays...it is a fun thing to do.

Other than my days filled with "eating fish," I also like to prepare and love to eat breakfasts. As far as "cleaning my toys," my Mom taught me it was good, and necessary, to put those toys in the toy box every day. Nothing new happening during retirement! :lol:

Agreed. This very different part of life's journey is good. I like it a lot. Yet I've noticed the 40 hours each week pass by just as quickly now as before now. C'est la vie.

Keep on looking forward to it.

PT7

BigAl52 wrote:
2 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:27 pm

its not unusual for me to forget to pack something I need when we leaving on a trip .... last year it was my camera which my daughter shipped to us in Texas .... this year I forgot to pack my gun cleaning kit and one of my favorite walleye fishing rods ... fortunately I do keep a can of Ballistol in the camper .... with it and an old cotton rag I've kept the rifles/shotgun we have used wiped down .... an actual cleaning won't take place until sometime after we get home
2 x