Heads up for 1911 users

Tell us how you do it
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Heads up for 1911 users

Post by clovishound » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:33 pm

Was at the range today with the Pup.

She had two failure to fire. Looked like a weak strike. Wondered if it was the Springfield 1911, or my reloading, IE not seating the primer properly.

Got it home and did a disassemble of the firing pin and extractor. Found that the one piece firing pin spring is now a two piece.

Was looking online for a replacement, and looked at Wilson Combat. They recommend replacing every 5,000 rounds.

Oops, I have several times than that on the Springfield. Never thought about firing pin springs as normal maint. Recoil springs, yes.

Will look for a local replacement tomorrow, otherwise I'll order a couple.
4 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Heads up for 1911 users

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Words of wisdom... I replaced mine at the start of each competition season. The 45 didn't have near the round count as the three revolvers, but PM prevents (ah, helps prevent,) unexpected failures. I didn't need to lose points I didn't have to.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Good tip. Thanks. Have a ways to go, what with revolvers dominating our shooting, more than the 1911s.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:35 pm

Well, I picked up a new spring today. Installed it, and went back to the range and ran about 20 rounds through.

Everything seemed to work as advertised. Will probably order a couple of the Wilson Combat Chromium Silicon springs and keep them on hand.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya