Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A pistol cleaning rod find...

Tell us how you do it
PT7
Drover
United States of America

A pistol cleaning rod find...

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 pm

After I finished shooting my MkIV 22/25 today, I spent some time in the LGS trying to find a "long-enough, single-piece" cleaning rod for this pistol. I had written about my search for a rod in the thread about brass loop cleaning rods.

The LGS had quite a number of cleaning rods on the shelf. The clerk even tried to help out by opening 3 different boxes, measuring the rods, but never found what I needed. So I headed toward the door knowing I'd be searching the web again.

Well, the clerk hollered over at me before I got out, and said he had forgotten about an endcap that had more rods to look at. He actually had in his hand the one brand I remembered Clovishound talked about in the first thread I posted:
clovishound wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:42 pm
I recently got a Pro Shot polished stainless steel pistol cleaning rod....They come in various lengths, so it's easy to get the size you want.
So this afternoon I cleaned my 22/45 with a 12'" Pro-Shot Stainless Steel .22 Cal & Up pistol rod. It is the perfect tool and fit for my cleaning need, and almost hard to believe I "bumped into it" at an LGS. :D Glad I remembered your suggestion, Clovishound. Thanks.

A good range day and a good and easy cleaning of my firearm.
Icing on the cake.🎂

PT7
3 x

~Пока~

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: A pistol cleaning rod find...

Post by clovishound » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:20 am

Glad that worked out for you. This is a heavy duty well built cleaning rod. The main issue I had was getting tired of replacing the cheap aluminum ones. Not sure it really makes a difference, but the rod is hard enough that grit shouldn't embed in it. You get grit embedded in a soft metal, and it turns it into an abrasive rod for the life of the rod. Since it is polished, it should slide, without damage, over any barrel surfaces it might come into contact with. Having said that, I doubt it is a factor either way unless you use poor techniques while cleaning.

It is nice to have a rod that won't bend, and you don't have to worry about the threads deforming, or pulling out. I could have bought a couple of these for what I have spent on aluminum rods over the years.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:24 am

20+ years, I'm still using my original set of aluminum rods.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:02 am

Mags wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:24 am
20+ years, I'm still using my original set of aluminum rods.
Do you use jags? A tight fitting jag does a great job of cleaning a bore. I find that it will pull lead from a bore quicker than a brush.

Unfortunately, a tight jag also puts lot of abuse on a cleaning rod.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:09 am

I'm strongly considering ordering a 12" Tipton Carbon Fiber 1-Piece Cleaning Rod for cleaning our handguns ====> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009E ... 0DER&psc=1 .... I'd prefer a 10" but that isn't an option
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:57 am

I'm sure it does. I don't use them so I don't see the corresponding stress/abuse caused on the rod.
clovishound wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:02 am
...Unfortunately, a tight jag also puts lot of abuse on a cleaning rod.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:01 pm

This one has an adjustable handle. So it could be cutoff to any desired length.
https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Force-Cle ... 212&sr=1-4
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:27 pm

interesting rod, specially with rifle cleaning threads on one end and shotgun cleaning rods on the other .... the main reason I'm interested in a pistol length rod is not have to deal with the unneeded 30 some inches of rod while cleaning a comparatively short barrel
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:16 am

For handguns, I use the rod that came with my 8 3/8" K-22. It is plenty long for all the rest.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:14 am

This one has an adjustable handle. So it could be cutoff to any desired length.
It should be gold plated for the price!
0 x