Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Experience with brass loop cleaning rod

Tell us how you do it
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Experience with brass loop cleaning rod

Post by clovishound » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:21 pm

If you are interested in the Pro Shot rods here is a link. They come in 8 and 12inch lengths.

Several manufacturers make polished SS rods. I got the Pro Shot because a LGS had a selection of them, and they appeared to be well made.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12556 ... tch-holder
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:08 pm

ESquared wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 am
Always here to help!

I think Ed hit on it above, and it's "back to basics" with a simple Hoppe's kit for 22 Cal, with a three-piece aluminum rod, T-Handle and the rest of the goodies. Just use 2 of the 3 sections and you're all set.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Cleaning- ... 53&sr=8-16
Did not post it, but this is exactly what I was thinking. I have done this to clean my one very large revolver.
I also use bore guides when I have to clean from the muzzle.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 pm

I've had loop rods before with the key word being "had". Stick your finger through the loop and one of 2 things happens depending on whether you're pushing or pulling. Either the jag, brush or whatever you're using unscrews itself or it tries to break your finger while following the rifling if you go the other way. I will never use anything but a solid one piece stainless rod with a bearing handle. I have an assortment from 8" up to 34". They all have a tapered brass collet for either chamber face or crown protection. Aluminum is too flimsy and even more so if it's screwed together in multiple sections. I hate the sound of that aluminum flexing and forcing itself against the bore on the push stroke even though it is much softer than the bore steel. There are a number of offerings in stainless available. Try one.
2 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Old Syko wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 pm
I've had loop rods before with the key word being "had". Stick your finger through the loop and one of 2 things happens depending on whether you're pushing or pulling. Either the jag, brush or whatever you're using unscrews itself or it tries to break your finger while following the rifling if you go the other way. I will never use anything but a solid one piece stainless rod with a bearing handle. I have an assortment from 8" up to 34". They all have a tapered brass collet for either chamber face or crown protection. Aluminum is too flimsy and even more so if it's screwed together in multiple sections. I hate the sound of that aluminum flexing and forcing itself against the bore on the push stroke even though it is much softer than the bore steel. There are a number of offerings in stainless available. Try one.
Appreciate you hitting my Qs right on the head, Old Syko. A "broken finger" doesn't sound too good for sure! I think if we had a vote, a rod with a bearing handle just might win.

I'm still mulling which way to go. But I think with the various preferences, I have some good options to pursue.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~