Experience with brass loop cleaning rod

Tell us how you do it
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Experience with brass loop cleaning rod

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 am

more like chafing the muzzle crown
It would take a lot of effort to damage a muzzle crown with a cleaning rod - much less if it were polished stainless steel. Used normally no issue.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 am

Mags wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:03 am
more like chafing the muzzle crown
clovishound wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:56 pm
Mags wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:10 pm
I use only soft metal cleaning rods.
I understand the thinking on that. However, I don't think a polished SS rod will mar the inside of a barrel.
That's why you use a bore guide. The more likely damage in my mind is grit that is picked up by the cleaning rod, regardless of hardness of the material.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 am

There are more opinions on cleaning rods than there are.....well you know..............LOL
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:44 am

clovishound wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 am
The more likely damage in my mind is grit that is picked up by the cleaning rod, regardless of hardness of the material.
If that is true, and it very well may be, then you should never use a bore snake more than once?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 pm

If that is true, and it very well may be, then you should never use a bore snake more than once?
Always a good idea to 'clean' your cleaning tools before using them - to remove any potential grit, dirt etc. they may pick up from lying around.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Of course, but just more cleaning kit parts to keep track of and not misplace. Plus several guides if one owns multiple calibers of firearms.
clovishound wrote:
That's why you use a bore guide. ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:50 pm

get/use ones with fiberglass bristles.
Henry88 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:44 am
clovishound wrote:
The more likely damage in my mind is grit that is picked up by the cleaning rod, regardless of hardness of the material.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:03 pm

Brass is all I ever used for 30 or so years. I lost mine and couldn't find it. I now use a 3 pc aluminum. Works just as good.
1 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:46 am

For my Qs, I believe I got closest to what I wanted to know from ESquared. He "has no experience" with a loop rod, and perceives "it would not be easy on the hands."

However, with all the preferences expressed, got some helpful pointers which I'll look at. I've not been able to find a loop rod in a local LGS to handle one, and on-line I cannot locate any with my best length for use on my 22/45. So without availability, do need another option. Clovishound's preference below is where I'll head next. Primary needs are one-piece rod with approx. 12" length. Shall see what I see.

Finally to JEBar. Your not knowing that there are "loop rods out there" was a telling point. Guess they just are not that highly-used or popular. The design simply caught my eye.

Thanks for working on this issue with me, Henry Folk.

PT7

ESquared wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:16 pm
No experience with this design, but it appears that the loop is just the handle. I've always favored a T-Handled rod, made of aluminum, as it rotates and allows the brush and patch to follow the rifling of the barrel (at least in principle). Also seems like it would be easier on the hands than a round brass loop.

I'm no metallurgist, but my perception is that aluminum is softer than brass, and I'd rather have as soft a material as possible shoving stuff through my barrels.

But, you can throw all this in the "free advice" folder, PT, as it's all personal preference. If you like the look and feel, it was meant to be!
clovishound wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:42 pm
I recently got a Pro Shot polished stainless steel pistol cleaning rod....They come in various lengths, so it's easy to get the size you want.
JEBar wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:05 am
interesting .... I didn't know there are loop rods out there .... looking forward to following this thread .... hopefully we do have members who have experience using them
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 am

Always here to help!

I think Ed hit on it above, and it's "back to basics" with a simple Hoppe's kit for 22 Cal, with a three-piece aluminum rod, T-Handle and the rest of the goodies. Just use 2 of the 3 sections and you're all set.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Cleaning- ... 53&sr=8-16
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357