Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cleaning a Long Ranger

Tell us how you do it
Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Cleaning a Long Ranger

Post by Bad Bob » Sat May 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Muzzle to breech is NOT O.K. per instruction manual!! The manual needs clarification/update, period!
0 x
Old age and treachery beats young and stupid very time!

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat May 25, 2019 2:51 pm

Muzzle to breech is NOT O.K. per instruction manual!!
What is the stated reason (per instruction manual) it is NOT OK?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat May 25, 2019 4:39 pm

Not sure what cleaning clarification is needed in the manual. It's clear enough. "Pull through cleaning kits or cleaning with a rod breach to muzzle" is recommended. A gunsmith is recommended when a more thorough disassembly cleaning/inspection is needed.
Bad Bob wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:41 pm
Muzzle to breech is NOT O.K. per instruction manual!! The manual needs clarification/update, period!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Sun May 26, 2019 6:54 pm

You know and I know that the way to clean the bore is with a pull-thru/bore snake BUT IT IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE MANUAL.
That's my point!
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 26, 2019 7:48 pm

BUT IT IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE MANUAL.
Manuals, for nearly anything, are GUIDELINES and not DIRECTIVES.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun May 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Right, "Bore Snake" is not mentioned in the manual. But it is inferred. Do a web search for "pull through cleaning kit". Guess what, they got bore snakes in em'.
Bad Bob wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:54 pm
You know and I know that the way to clean the bore is with a pull-thru/bore snake BUT IT IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE MANUAL.
That's my point!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Tue May 28, 2019 11:22 am

FWIW, manual states that if you run a brush or patch from the muzzle end you will push dirt/residue and moisture into the chamber and receiver. THIS IS A MAJOR CAUSE OF STUCK CASES OR OTHER PROBLEMS.
Quote: "If you push or pull a brush back toward the chamber, you will notice the bush will throw the debris from the bore back into the chamber. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DISASSEMBLE THIS RIFLE IN ORDER TO CLEAN IT SUFFICIENTLY AND KEEP T OPERATING PROPERLY."
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue May 28, 2019 12:17 pm

Again manuals are guidelines and not directives.
I have been cleaning from the muzzle to the breech all my shooting 'life' - however I have never owned a rifle I could not access the chamber to clean it. If you were really concerned about pushing debris into the chamber you could chamber an empty case to prevent it but regardless of the method used to clean the bore does the manual outline directions to clean the chamber if they do not want it disassembled?
Chambers need to be cleaned as well as part of the cleaning process and about the only way to do this if you cannot access it to run a rod through it will be to use a 'flex brush'. A flex brush has plastic bristles on a twisted wire stem that can be bent to access the chamber through the ejection port. Not as good as being able to access the chamber vertically but an acceptable alternative if you do not want to remove the bolt assembly.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm

I think we can all agree the LR Manual leaves a lot to be desired. Probably not entirely coincidental that it's not available online, unlike pretty much the rest of Henry's established lines of levers.
While it's certainly unclear about cleaning and use of rods, etc., what it's not clear enough about it advising owners NOT to try to disassemble the bolt/lever/spur gear assembly.
My experience with cleaning from the muzzle to the chamber is that doing that with a brush is completely different than using a patch. Once those bristles clear the bore, stuff can (and does) fly everywhere in places where you don't want stuff to be. A patch lends itself to a much more controllable process and less "stuff-flinging" (an official gun-smithing term, I'm told).
Suffice it to say that the manual is best left aside, and a bore snake (or equivalent) is best for cleaning the bore, while patches-n-picks-n-such will do a great job on the chamber without even trying to take the darn thing apart. A little grease on that huge bolt that comes ratcheting out the back, and you're good to go!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue May 28, 2019 4:52 pm

When cleaning from muzzle to breech, use a brass muzzle guard and you're GTG. This isn't difficult to figure out. Or as we have already read here, bore snake. Viola!
0 x