Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cleaning a Long Ranger

Tell us how you do it
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Cleaning a Long Ranger

Post by JEBar » Tue May 28, 2019 5:19 pm

over the last (almost) 50 years I've bounced back and forth between cleaning our BLR from muzzle to the chamber and from the chamber to the muzzle .... given the Long Ranger is basically patterned after the BLR, my guess is cleaning their barrels would be similar .... I've found that with the rifle upright and positioned parallel to the floor, if I remove the magazine and work the action so the bolt is all of the way back, I can run a cleaning rod from the muzzle toward the chamber .... any grit dislodged will end up in the chamber or drop out through magazine's opening .... then run a patch from the muzzle and it will push any grit out of the chamber .... in short, removing the magazine pretty well eliminates the issue of pushing grit into the rifles action
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue May 28, 2019 9:45 pm

There is a cavity behind the chamber in the Long Ranger that the rotating bolt rotates into when closing the lever. Cleaning Muzzle to breach pushes whatever debris there may be in the bore and chamber into this cavity. Get too much debris in that cavity and the bolt may not rotate into ready-to-fire bolt lockup.
JEBar wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:19 pm
over the last (almost) 50 years I've bounced back and forth between cleaning our BLR from muzzle to the chamber and from the chamber to the muzzle .... given the Long Ranger is basically patterned after the BLR, my guess is cleaning their barrels would be similar .... I've found that with the rifle upright and positioned parallel to the floor, if I remove the magazine and work the action so the bolt is all of the way back, I can run a cleaning rod from the muzzle toward the chamber .... any grit dislodged will end up in the chamber or drop out through magazine's opening .... then run a patch from the muzzle and it will push any grit out of the chamber .... in short, removing the magazine pretty well eliminates the issue of pushing grit into the rifles action
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 28, 2019 11:00 pm

interesting .... I don't recall a cavity like that in our BLR .... ours has grooves that the rotary part of the bolt locks into .... much like a bolt action rifle .... we've had it since the early 70's and its action is still very smooth
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue May 28, 2019 11:53 pm

Maybe a picture will help with visualization. This picture is taken looking into the magazine receiver toward the chamber (chamber not visible). The rotating bolt is in the foreground. The area between the two yellow lines is the roof of the cavity that the LR bolt slips into and rotates in once it clears the fixed locking cogs (teeth) immediately behind the cavity.

20190528_201842x.jpg
JEBar wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:00 pm
interesting .... I don't recall a cavity like that in our BLR .... ours has grooves that the rotary part of the bolt locks into .... much like a bolt action rifle .... we've had it since the early 70's and its action is still very smooth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 29, 2019 9:16 am

that's for the picture, I now understand .... it appears that the good news is, if any residue from cleaning was to get in there, it would be easy to see and remove ....
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am

Not too bad, but it is a little bit of a fishing expedition since one can't see the the bottom of the cavity when trying to make sure it's cleaned out.
JEBar wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:16 am
that's for the picture, I now understand .... it appears that the good news is, if any residue from cleaning was to get in there, it would be easy to see and remove ....
0 x

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Fri May 31, 2019 3:37 pm

Clearly amazed how many of you would risk using a cleaning rod from muzzle to breech.
Not only would you push powder, brass and other debris into the rifles chamber and action, but you risk damaging the rifles crown.
0 x
Old age and treachery beats young and stupid very time!

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri May 31, 2019 4:08 pm

You clearly are so much better.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 31, 2019 6:40 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:37 pm
Clearly amazed how many of you would risk using a cleaning rod from muzzle to breech.
Not only would you push powder, brass and other debris into the rifles chamber and action, but you risk damaging the rifles crown.

in cleaning firearms, the saying one size doesn't fit all usually applies ..... the receivers of all lever action rifles a not built the same ..... for some, cleaning from the muzzle may work well and for others, may not be a good thing to do .... for applications where one wishes to clean from the muzzle cheap muzzle guards are available ===> https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-Fits-Ca ... AYC87KM2QB ....
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri May 31, 2019 8:06 pm

I have never understood how a brass, aluminium, coated or carbon fiber cleaning rod could do any damage to a hardened steel barrel.

I believe this is a left over from the olden days off steel rods.
2 x
Pax at Justitia