Ballistol

Tell us how you do it
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Ballistol

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:57 am

PT7 wrote:Just have to always deal with being a "mega cleaning nut."

understood because I used to be a "mega cleaning nut" .... call it age or whatever but over the years that's changed considerably .... rust I can't tolerate but in thinking about it, I have come to realize that it isn't necessary for me to agonize over removing every spec of grime innate to shooting a firearm .... lead in a barrel still really bothers me, so much so that I no longer fire lead bullets .... when I shine a light and look down a barrel, if it looks shiny and clean, I'm good .... when the action works smoothly and the bullet consistently hits what I aim at when I pull the trigger, I'm happy .... in a similar vein, I do run them through a car wash but its been decades since I detailed a vehicle
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 am

I see this thread has been inactive for a while but it's the first time I have looked at it. I think I might pick up some if I can find it.
Have a question though. I have a friend who has been into Cowboy Action shooting for many years. To my surprise, he said he uses automotive brake cleaner as a bore solvent. Sounds kinda crazy to me but I do respect him and he's no spring chicken either. What thoughts do any of you have ? I have not used it. Just curious, seems like it might be a bit too aggressive.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:35 am

While I've heard the tales of how great brake cleaner is for many years, I've never used it. No doubt many will pipe up here in support of it. Can't see how it would be too aggressive on the stuff that fouls a barrel if it can clean brakes. Don't know if I'd let it loose on internal actions and such, but, again, have never used it; others may give it the thumbs up all around.

As the old adage goes, [within parameters of good sense] it doesn't so much matter what you use to clean and lube, but just that you clean and lube.

I have used Ballistol for years, and it's fantastic, non-toxic, multi-use stuff, for everything from cleaning bores and action parts to woodstocks and leather slings. The odor is kind of odd, but no more so than good ol' Hoppes No. 9. Heartily recommend!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 pm

I would not use aerosol brake cleaner near wood, brass or plastic. Any over spray can mar the finish.
markiver54 wrote:I see this thread has been inactive for a while but it's the first time I have looked at it. I think I might pick up some if I can find it.
Have a question though. I have a friend who has been into Cowboy Action shooting for many years. To my surprise, he said he uses automotive brake cleaner as a bore solvent. Sounds kinda crazy to me but I do respect him and he's no spring chicken either. What thoughts do any of you have ? I have not used it. Just curious, seems like it might be a bit too aggressive.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Yes Mags, my concern was also what effect it might have on a beautiful walnut stock finish. Might go to my local GS today and see if they carry the Ballistol. Could just call and ask, but always love going to the gun stores.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:17 pm

In my experience, Ballistol isn't all that easy to find at retail. Like most things these days, Amazon is a good option, and a 3-pack lasts quite while, depending on what you choose to use it for. I find myself using it in situations where I might have used WD-40 previously, for example, but would never use WD-40 on leather.

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Multi- ... nd+cleaner
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Yup any excuse to go the gun store! :D

I've never used Ballistol. Never seen it on the shelves here. I've been a long time user of Hoppe's #9 and other than for copper fouling, had no reason to try anything else. For copper fouling I use TetraGun. For lube of moving parts I use Remington Dry-Lube. For the bore a slightly damp swab of gun oil.
For wood and brass buff with Renaissance Wax.
markiver54 wrote:Yes Mags, my concern was also what effect it might have on a beautiful walnut stock finish. Might go to my local GS today and see if they carry the Ballistol. Could just call and ask, but always love going to the gun stores.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm

ESquared wrote:In my experience, Ballistol isn't all that easy to find at retail. Like most things these days, Amazon is a good option, and a 3-pack lasts quite while, depending on what you choose to use it for. I find myself using it in situations where I might have used WD-40 previously, for example, but would never use WD-40 on leather.

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Multi- ... nd+cleaner

Ballistol is sold at our area's largest gun shop but I can buy it just as cheaply from Amazon and they deliver it to our door .... I use it for both cleaning and as a lubricant .... Ballistol and Sweets 7.62 (for copper removal) are the only chemicals we use
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Well.. I went to three area gun stores today and could not find Ballistol. The biggest one around did not even know what it was. The third small shop I went to, ( where I should have gone first ), at least knew what it is. He sent me to a local gunsmith who works out of his home and got a 16 ounce can for $11.50. I was intrigued enough by all of you and that helped me persevere. I'm glad I did though because of all the uses listed on the can. Had fun looking though. Nut'in else this old retired guy had to do today! Look forward to trying it soon. BTW...wife thinks I'm nuts... :lol: she might have a good case.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 pm

suggestion .... take one of your firearms that you know has a clean barrel ..... run a dry patch down the barrel to remove any lubricant .... swab the barrel with a Ballistol .... remove it from the barrel and take a look at the patch .... if you do so, I'd really like to hear your reaction
0 x