Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ballistol

Tell us how you do it
JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Ballistol

Post by JCN » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:09 am

My local gun shops carry it but it can be hard to find elsewhere.

I like using it to clean parts after disassembly. I'll take a small bowl and throw the parts in there (AR bolt, glock barrel, etc.) and spray the stuff down. The Ballistol will break down the gunk and the parts will easily wipe clean. They will be perfectly lubricated as well. Then wipe out the bowl and you are done!
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:11 pm

OK That did it. I have never used the stuff but now, after reading all these posts, I have some on order and will give it a try. THANKS GUYS AND GALS!
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Steve51 wrote:OK That did it. I have never used the stuff but now, after reading all these posts, I have some on order and will give it a try. THANKS GUYS AND GALS!
suggestion/request ===> select one of your rifles that you know the barrel is clean ..... wet a patch with Ballistol and run it through the barrel .... after doing so, please post your reaction .. ;)
0 x

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:19 pm

The smell of Ballistol to me is very similar to a big colony of pissed-off ants. But it does a spectacular job on guns – both the wood and metallic parts.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:57 pm

JEBar wrote:
Steve51 wrote:OK That did it. I have never used the stuff but now, after reading all these posts, I have some on order and will give it a try. THANKS GUYS AND GALS!
suggestion/request ===> select one of your rifles that you know the barrel is clean ..... wet a patch with Ballistol and run it through the barrel .... after doing so, please post your reaction .. ;)

Will do!
1 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:21 pm

Received the Ballistol I ordered today so I tried it out for the first time ever. I decided to try it on my Big Boy 44 and my .44 Ruger Superblackhawk. Both were cleaned about two weeks ago and have not been fired since they were cleaned.

I started with the Big Boy 44. Soaked a patch with Ballistol and soaked the barrel, waited a few minutes and ran dry patches through it. The patches were pretty clean but a couple of black streaks were visible. I put some Ballistol on a cloth and wiped down the entire exterior - it did make the walnut stand out. Wiped it down with a dry cloth and ran a bore snake down the barrel to finish.

Next I removed the cylinder from the revolver and soaked the barrel with Ballistol and waited a few minutes. Ran dry patches through the barrel and they were clean also with a faint black streak. Since I shoot both specials and magnum ammo through this revolver, the cylinder chambers had a noticeable mark where the special brass ends. I dipped a bronze brush in the Ballitstol and brushed each chamber. Then I dipped the brush and repeated the process. I wiped down the cylinder with a dry cloth and ran the bore snake through each cylinder. This is what impressed me the most - those burnt marks in the chambers where the special brass ends were gone. I always tried to get these marks out but was not ever satisfied with my results. Now the chambers look like a brand new cylinder.

I did not find the odor offensive but like the smell of Hoppes 9 better.

I am very pleased with Ballistol and will use it often. Thank you all for your reviews & comments. That is what prompted me to give it a try!
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 am

good to hear you like the Ballistol .... like you, we've found it does a good job
0 x

shoothemoon
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by shoothemoon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:06 pm

ditto1958 wrote:I use Ballistol and am really happy with it. Just as you can't go wrong using Hoppe's No. 9, so it is with Ballistol.

It's a gentle but effective solvent. It smells good and is pretty much non-toxic. It seems to perform just fine as a firearms lubricant. As a bonus, if you mist a soft cloth with it and wipe down your guns before putting them away, you will start to notice that they look better.
Smells good??? Have you considered a nose job?
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:11 pm

while beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder, my wife is most happy when I use Ballistol outside .. :oops:
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:55 am

shoothemoon wrote:Smells good??? Have you considered a nose job?
That's what I was thinking, too! :lol:

I could write a list of all the things I like about Ballistol .... but "smell" wouldn't be on it! :lol:
0 x