Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sight adjustment

Tell us how you do it
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Sight adjustment

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 pm

The front sight on my new SGC definitely needs to be drifted. Don't have a brass punch, so tried with an oak dowel. Would not budge. Probably because of the light weight gun vise I have resulting in inadequate resistance when hitting the dowel. Started using a rawhide hammer just to be safe. No luck, then a regular hammer, again no luck. I'm sure all because of movement of the vise. Thought the dovetail would move more easily. Sure don't want to mar up a new rifle. How do you people secure yours safely enough to get that sight to drift? Don't want to have to go to the local gunsmith for what I think should be a simple task. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Sight adjustment

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Do get a brass punch. An oak dowel will absorb too much of the energy from your hammer. In a pinch, you can put a brass shell casing over a regular punch, but the brass punch is the way to go. Skinners will have one for you. While you're at it, getting a triangular file, too, for trimming dovetail sights when you change front or rear sights.
2 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:50 pm

You need a good bench block and a solid bench to rest the muzzle on while drifting the sight. If you don't have a good bench block you can use a roll of black electrician's tape on its side. NCG's suggestion of using a shell casing over a regular punch is good idea - I've used a spent 22 casing on a regular steel punch to drift sights before I got a good brass punch from Skinner. Sometimes you have to really hit it hard to get some first movement on those front sights, but eventually they move...
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:58 pm

I'd have the rifle laying on it's side on top of a solid work bench with an appropriate thickness slab of wood to uniformly support the length of the barrel. Then punch as NCG shared.
markiver54 wrote:The front sight on my new SGC definitely needs to be drifted. Don't have a brass punch, so tried with an oak dowel. Would not budge. Probably because of the light weight gun vise I have resulting in inadequate resistance when hitting the dowel. Started using a rawhide hammer just to be safe. No luck, then a regular hammer, again no luck. I'm sure all because of movement of the vise. Thought the dovetail would move more easily. Sure don't want to mar up a new rifle. How do you people secure yours safely enough to get that sight to drift? Don't want to have to go to the local gunsmith for what I think should be a simple task. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :)
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:59 pm

If a dovetail is particularly hard to drift, I've used a couple of drops of RemOil on it. Seems to help it move easier...
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Have been off line all day. Tab ran out of gas, had to fill-r-up. Thank you all so much for the very valuable advise. I'm going to apply methods learned here tomorrow. Just never " drifted " a sight before. Only mechanical, rear sights for windage and elevation. Even though I have shot off and on for over 50 years, I'm totally guilty of pretty much overlooking too many details. Great to have support. Big thanks to ALL!!
Not too proud to say, I still need mentoring at 64 :lol:
Last edited by markiver54 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:10 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Do get a brass punch. An oak dowel will absorb too much of the energy from your hammer. In a pinch, you can put a brass shell casing over a regular punch, but the brass punch is the way to go. Skinners will have one for you. While you're at it, getting a triangular file, too, for trimming dovetail sights when you change front or rear sights.
Will do NCG, punch and file both. Is the angle of the dovetail and a standard triangular file the same? I think I have a small one out in the shop. Then all I need is the punch! Also, will lightly filing hurt anything? ( blueing, finish, promote rust etc.? )
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:13 pm

PT7 wrote:If a dovetail is particularly hard to drift, I've used a couple of drops of RemOil on it. Seems to help it move easier...
PT7
Will try the Rem Oil if needed. I'm gonna move that sucker one way or another. :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:17 pm

tractortad wrote:You need a good bench block and a solid bench to rest the muzzle on while drifting the sight. If you don't have a good bench block you can use a roll of black electrician's tape on its side. NCG's suggestion of using a shell casing over a regular punch is good idea - I've used a spent 22 casing on a regular steel punch to drift sights before I got a good brass punch from Skinner. Sometimes you have to really hit it hard to get some first movement on those front sights, but eventually they move...
Thank you Tractotad. A real good first tap/hit may just be the answer along with all other techniques offered so far. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:43 am

When drifting sights by pushing or tapping them, I place a piece or two of blue masking tape over the work I am going to contact with the sight tool or punch. As a matter of fact, I use blue masking tape to protect any finished metal work around the area where I am going to drive pins in our out.
0 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers