Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Storing an All-Weather Henry

Tell us how you do it
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Storing an All-Weather Henry

Post by PT7 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:08 am

Part of my firearm maintenance is to use Bore Stores cases for my revolvers and handguns. Never have had any rust problems or cabinet dings when using these. I've even stored some of my higher-priced knives in a Bore Stores knife case.

At the moment, I don't have one of these cases for my new H012MAW, All-Weather .357 Magnum. On Henry's web page they state this about this rifle's finishes:
…. a different finish, the durable hard chrome plating....and combined with the tough moisture-resistant industrial-grade coating on the hardwood furniture....
Simple Q. I think that it would be okay just to store this AW in a regular rifle case. Right now I have it in my Allen case, which is identical to my Henry Orange rifle case. So either would be the storage container.

What thoughts do you have on storing an All-Weather? I may also write to a Henry tech to get their take on this.
TIA.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Storing an All-Weather Henry

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 am

GIven the way the metal and wood surfaces are treated, and the fact that you're storing them in basically a temperature & humidity controlled environment (i.e.-your house), I'd think the All-Weather would be just fine in an Allen case.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 am

It all depends on the conditions of your storage area. A regular gun case can act as a moisture trap in the environment is humid, but not really an issue when things are dry. If you are storing in an air-conditioned environment, I promise you that things are fairly moist, unless you are also using a de-humidifier. Even them I wouldn't chance it. Use the silicone socks if you want to protect your gun from nicks.

Keep in mind, too, that your storage area can also vary in this respect. Our guns are stored in our basement. In summer, moisture content of the air is definitely higher and I have to be extra careful about wiping guns down after handling. In winter, our basement is very dry, so guns left in a case for awhile, no problems.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:20 pm

It's an all weather. So I wouldn't sweat it too much.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:11 pm

If I were storing in a case, it would be a soft case made of a breathable material. Hard Chrome plating is pretty durable, so you're reasonably covered on the outside, but I would still oil the bore/chamber at a minimum if it were going to be sitting for some time.
1 x

TN Mark
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TN Mark » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:49 pm

If you can allow some air to circulate around them while they're not being used I think that would be best. If not, a simple Allen sock would be fine at keeping away dust and finger prints when/if you need to move them around. I only put mine in a Boyt canvas case when it's being transported. Once I get to where I'm going, I try to get them out and allow some air around them. A one story house remains fairly constant with temperature and humidity year round thanks to a humidifier and a dehumidifier.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks to all. Good stuff off both sides of the coin!

A concluding question. Does anyone have/use the Henry 52" Gun Sock offered through Henry Pride? It is marketed as "Silicone treated knit fabric; Will not hold moisture." It is made by Allen. Interesting that you can buy two of those for less than one of the smaller Bore Stores cases.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~