Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bore cleaning

Tell us how you do it
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Bore cleaning

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:36 pm

With a Henry no need to do so with routine cleaning. For me, removal of the bolt for cleaning is saved for the infrequent deep cleans. Also with the Long Rangers HenryUSA does not want owners to disassemble the action or remove the bolt.
Vaquero wrote:You do know It's not hard to remove the bolt and use the rod from the chamber end. Right?
That's the way I was taught.

RP
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:35 pm

I use a cleaning rod with one of these, when I'm cleaning the bore I set it in my rifle rest with the breech facing down so my most of the debri drops out. Run a patch soaked with Hoppes (or your favorite cleaner) down the bore, let it sit for awhile and then run a bronze cleaning brush through several times, then I run just the rod down the bore and then attach a Squeeg-E to the rod and pull it out so most of the crud comes out the muzzle. Squeeg-E's work great, one pass and then a couple of patches and the barrel is clean. If the barrel is very dirty you may have to repeat but I sure use a lot less patches than I used to.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Shot-Fits-Ca ... bore+guide

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-Access ... e+squeegee
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 pm

I use the Otis system (cable) in some of my rifles not easily accessed through the chamber. My Winchester 1892 is a prime example. It also does well with the Ruger 10-22. The 10-22 isn't too hard to get the barrel off but sometimes it's a bit of a pain to get back together. I also use the bore snakes or ripcord....whatever you want to call them.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Mags wrote:.
With a Henry no need to do so with routine cleaning. For me, removal of the bolt for cleaning is saved for the infrequent deep cleans. Also with the Long Rangers HenryUSA does not want owners to disassemble the action or remove the bolt.
Vaquero wrote:You do know It's not hard to remove the bolt and use the rod from the chamber end. Right?
That's the way I was taught.

RP
Nothing to it, half cock the lever, take the lever pivot screw out.
Drop the lever and pull the bolt right out the back.
Run your cleaning rod from that end.
No problem, and easy
YMMV

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Have cleaned both ways...from muzzle, I use a brass muzzle guard from that end. Probably not necessary, but that's just me. Cleaning from the breech just takes a few minutes longer but is easy to remove the lever and bolt to clean from the receiver. Just keep your eyes on the ejector spring.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Cleaning..How often?

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:54 pm

Just thought I' ask. How often do you really clean your bores. After every outing at the range?...or kinda like me, ;) when I might skip a bit...at least they live in a climate controlled safe! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Cleaning..How often?

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 pm

After every outing or two. Translates to every 50-100 rounds for rifle. 50 or so for revolver.
Only lead in rifle, don't shoot copper.
Pistol gets lead or JSP rounds.

And always a good wipe down with oily rags.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:55 pm

I try to clean the bore after every outing but there are exceptions .... unless carried in the rain, when hunting I fire the rifle a few times and then clean it again after the hunt is over .... if planning to visit a range multiple times within a short period of time, I usually hold off cleaning the bore until getting ready to put the rifle/pistol/shotgun in the vault
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:04 pm

A very brief discussion a while back...
https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 210#p65158
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: rifle barrel cleaning

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:20 pm
Another tip: Drizzling Hoppes #9 Solvent into the chamber and out through the muzzle draws out a lot of the blue/green copper fouling too. Follow with a bore squeegee, chamber and out the muzzle. Repeat drizzle and squeegee until no more blue/green. Finish with a slightly damp patch of gun oil.
Mags, just picked up a bore squeegee today in 357.
Question is; you say chamber and out the muzzle. Makes total sense. Do you run the rod through, and then attach the squeegee in the chamber area? Don't want to push crud into the receiver. Have never used one of these before.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry