Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Next Gun Repair On The List (Or High On IT Anyway)

Tell us how you do it
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Next Gun Repair On The List (Or High On IT Anyway)

Post by Mistered » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:41 am

Well, as much as I have been fighting it I need to create some sort of stock extension for my 1966 100 Year Commemorative Winchester.
If you look at the pic of it and my 1899 in the 'when I think shooting' thread you see them side by side but the 66 on the left is obviously shorter.
So I have four ideas:
1. Get a one inch chunk of brass flat bar and make one out of that. Up side - it would polish up and kind of look 'right' on the rifle (sort of) - at least it would match the gold wash on the receiver.
2. Get a piece of hardwood and make it out of that, stain it black and oil finish it. Downside - it would contrast with the nice stock figure but unless I were to find a piece of wood that closely matches the stock nearly anything is going to contrast with it.
3. (And maybe the most practical idea)- make a leather, lace on, butt cover with a stack of several leather sections glued together to make a 1" thick section. The upside is this would complement the stock, look correct and the extension would be hidden inside the cover.
4. Fit a hard rubber butt pad on it.
Just thinking 'out loud' here.
Last edited by Mistered on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Next Gun Repair On The List (Or High On IT Anyway)

Post by GFK » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:10 am

Question: Is the current stock the original one?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 am

Question: Is the current stock the original one?
No. It's got pretty nice wood on it - something Winchester was lacking back then.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:14 am

Mistered wrote:1. Get a one inch chunk of brass flat bar and make one out of that. Up side - it would polish up and kind of look 'right' on the rifle (sort of) - at least it would match the gold wash on the receiver.
2. Get a piece of hardwood and make it out of that, stain it black and oil finish it. Downside - it would contrast with the nice stock figure but unless I were to find a piece of wood that closely matches the stock nearly anything is going to contrast with it.
I've said several times that I really admire and respect the skill of folks who can undertake projects such at this .... tip of my cap 8-)
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am

Thinking I might go the 'easy' (and faster) route and find a dark brown hard rubber, solid butt pad to fit on. UPSIDE? Quick, cheap and it will at least sort of look like it belongs on it.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:38 am

I'd go for door number 3. I've done that very thing with aftermarket leather lace up pads and filling the space in a crescent buttplate with foam. Looks good and no alteration to the gun needed. I also use these leather slip on pads on some of my contender carbines to increase the stock LOP, since I'm not too comfortable being that close to the scope these little carbines.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:49 am

Combine 3&4. Put a rubber pad inside a slip cover. It would look better than on the outside.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:15 am

Since the wood is new, I sense you are more concern with functionality than originality. So, a slip-on pad and adding what extra padding is needed might not be a bad way to go which seems like what NCG did and Mags suggests.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Yea I was already looking at a u-tube video with a guy showing how to make a one piece pattern for a leather wrap so it looks pretty simple - and I already have a piece of leather just about the right size so this might be what I end up doing.
I doubt it will have any tooling on it (due to no leather tools) but what the heck - it will be free!
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:32 am

Combine 3&4. Put a rubber pad inside a slip cover. It would look better than on the outside.
If I go the leather route I'll make it approx. 1" longer and cut enough sections of the leather to build it up on the inside and it will not be seen.
0 x