Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Blitz Stock and Grip Cloth?

Tell us how you do it
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Blitz Stock and Grip Cloth?

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:55 pm

Maybe I haven't been paying attention and it's not new, but just came across this item on the HenryPride site.

Is it just another brand of the silicone cloth that we've all been using forever?

https://henrypride.com/collections/clea ... 4847844876
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Blitz Stock and Grip Cloth?

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 pm

ESquared wrote:Maybe I haven't been paying attention and it's not new, but just came across this item on the HenryPride site.

Is it just another brand of the silicone cloth that we've all been using forever?

https://henrypride.com/collections/clea ... 4847844876
Not silicone. Maize is a type of starch. Aids in wicking.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 am

This place is a never-ending source of info.

Need to research this further, I guess. Seems like silicone would add moisture and something that wicks would draw moisture out, but I'm way over my skis on this already...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:49 am

Wicking comes in handy when you've been hunting in the rain or mist and use it wipe down your Henry.
Last edited by Mags on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:18 pm

ESquared wrote:This place is a never-ending source of info.

Need to research this further, I guess. Seems like silicone would add moisture and something that wicks would draw moisture out, but I'm way over my skis on this already...
Yes, interesting. I am not familiar with that cloth. Supposably, a silicone sock draws out moisture as well. I guess it may have something to do with the way it is made. A silicone sock seems to be of loosely sewn cotton or nylon. Well, a silicone cloth seems to be more tightly sewn. Just a thought.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Blitz makes these kinds of cloth-based products for just about everything - silver, brass, etc.

Just don't know enough yet about the science going on here when it comes to wood-based products (and, their similar product on Amazon says the same cloth is for "resin stocks" as well.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:23 pm

GFK wrote:... Supposably, a silicone sock draws out moisture as well. I guess it may have something to do with the way it is made. A silicone sock seems to be of loosely sewn cotton or nylon. Well, a silicone cloth seems to be more tightly sewn. Just a thought.
I wouldn't be using silicone based/laced product or nylon on shiny brass. Silicone can be slightly acidic (dull the brass) and nylon can leave tiny hair like scratches. Only 100% cotton use on shiny brass.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:44 am

I guess brass is something to consider. I typically don't have too many brass items. I think it comes from being in the Navy. On ships, brass items were cleaned regularly. At times, daily. Seawater and brass don't seem to play nicely together. If more than a few days went by without polishing, things did not look shiny. In most cases, that was a bad thing. For inspections, things had to look shiny. So now, I try to avoid having to shine things. Because once started, I feel compelled to keep it shiny. And for me, I would rather do something else now, like shooting. That probably why I have a H009 instead of a H009B. I have shined enough brass to last me for awhile.

P.S.
Blitz Stock and Grip Cloth is recommended for wood not metal, right?
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:53 am

GFK wrote:... now, I try to avoid having to shine things. Because once started, I feel compelled to keep it shiny. And for me, I would rather do something else now, like shooting. That probably why I have a H009 instead of a H009B. I have shined enough brass to last me for awhile.
P.S.
Blitz Stock and Grip Cloth is recommended for wood not metal, right?
When I'm cleaning my Henry, I sometimes question my choice of brass, for only a millisecond though. It is extra time to care for and requires careful handling to avoid getting finger prints on it when putting the Henry away afterwards. I don't like patina or finger prints, so far that has been motivation to keep the brass shiny.

I noticed in the Henry cleaning video they used some other cloth on the brass and used the Blitz Stock and Grip Cloth to wipe the wood. By name and use in the video the cloth is intended for wood. The cloth in the video looks very stiff as would be expected having been maize starched. I don't think it would hurt metal, but the cloth stiffness would likely make it difficult to use as a general cleaning cloth like on the barrel and mag tube roundness and barrel bands. The presenter in the video didn't make any effort to keep it away from metal including the brass when he was wiping down the wood. The cloth has lettering embossed into it and so I would be making sure to keep the lettering side of the cloth away from brass to avoid scratches.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Yes, I would avoid getting stuff on the brass as well. Or, wipe it down with a clean cotton cloth as soon as I could, and clean it with Never Dull or alike as required.
0 x