Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Got lucky With A Winchester Repair!

Tell us how you do it
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Got lucky With A Winchester Repair!

Post by Mistered » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:52 pm

Decided to tear into my '66 100 Year Commemorative Winchester to try to figure out it's cycling problem.
Well I decided to start with swapping out the stamped cartridge lift with an earlier 'solid' style and while I was at it tried a different bolt - reassembled everything and slid a round into the gate and flipped the lever and it worked great! Filled the mag tube and operated the lever repeatedly and all seven chambered and ejected without a hitch! Its no longer a 'Single Shot'! Sometime ya get lucky and I did on this. The later, stamped lift was no doubt probably most of it and maybe this winter I'll disassemble the bolt I took out of it and see if it's got a burr or something that was also part of the problem but for now it went back into the Winchester spare parts box!
5 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Got lucky With A Winchester Repair!

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Sounds like some good smithing there! You must have a great parts bin, not to mention the know-how!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Yep - been my own 'gunsmith' since I built my first muzzleloader from a kit at about 16! - The stamped cartridge lift was one of Winchester's BIGGEST mistakes with the Post 64 changes (among others) and they later returned to a cast and machined lift in 1983 - as well as reversing some of the other 'changes' they made.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 pm

congrats on a job well handled ... great to hear the repair is working
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:32 pm

Sweet!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:22 am

Well, while the bolt and lifter swap helped i experienced a couple feed failures so I again removed the cartridge lift for a deeper inspection and I MAY have found the actual problem. The cartridge lift is pushed up by the lever when cycled and is supposed to get locked into position by a spring arm until the lever is closed. It appears the bearing surface of the spring arm is too sharp and squared off and is not smoothly engaging the lift when the lever is opened. Looks like spring removal and some stoning and polishing of the mating surfaces is next on the list!
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:09 pm

Success and the end of a boring thread! Took another Winchester apart tonight (that works ok) to inspect the cartridge lift spring arm and as I thought, it was smoother and rounded on its bearing surface. Thinking I was finally 'on' to something I took the improper cycling rifle apart and installed the good spring in it and about five minutes later it was running like a song!
Another five minutes of oil stoning the original spring surface to a proper smooth and rounded shape, reinstalled in the 'donor' rifle and again smooth operation! This was a little frustrating but patience and perseverance paid off!
Last edited by Mistered on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:19 am

Hooray! Congrats on that!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:58 am

It's nice to be able to make your own repairs. Good for you. Independence is a good thing. I am looking to do more of my own repairs as required myself. So far, nothing major has came up. But, it good to know that knowledgeable and experienced folks are out there.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 am

Yea been working on guns as a 'novice' for a LONG time. Even with my Henry it would take an egregious problem (such as a dramatic manufacturing issue or oversight) before I would consider sending it back. Fit & function adjustments & minor repairs take place on MY bench!
2 x