Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Screw torque question

Tell us how you do it
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Screw torque question

Post by clovishound » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:44 pm

I've had the stock off the new to me Weatherby a couple times now. I understand that it is important to properly torque the trigger guard screws that hold the receiver to the stock. I believe the screws are supposed to be torqued to 35 inch pounds. I hate to spend $60 + for a cheap torque screwdriver, and was thinking that a 1/4 drive torque wrench calibrated in in/lbs should do the trick for a whole lot less money.

Anybody use a beam or click type 1/4 drive torque wrench for this? Should I just snug the screws and call it good? The Weatherby has a synthetic stock and I believe it has no aluminum pillars.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Screw torque question

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:28 am

I use 1/4 inch drive click type. I don't consider beam type for inch/lbs all that accurate.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:47 am

Mags wrote:I use 1/4 inch drive click type. I don't consider beam type for inch/lbs all that accurate.
Same here.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:36 am

When you say 1/4 drive click type, are you talking a torque screwdriver, or one of the click type wrenches? The latter are smaller versions of the torque wrenches mechanics use on cars.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:12 pm

1/4 drive click type torque screwdriver
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234