Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Factory Finish On A BB Stock

Tell us how you do it
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Factory Finish On A BB Stock

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Anyone know what Henry uses as the finish on their stocks? Reason is I am going to strip my this winter and give it a 'real' Tung Oil finish and am hoping standard wood stripper will remove it. My forestock is really getting shiny and slick from use and whatever is on it seems really durable. I don't want to sand it much as my stock is already at nominal size as the wood to metal fit is nearly perfect. If anyone has done this to their stock let me know.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Factory Finish On A BB Stock

Post by clovishound » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:55 am

Regardless of what it is, a commercial stripper should remove it. If it were mine, and was a model that didn't have checkering, I would scrape the old finish off. I dabble in woodworking, and use card scrapers from time to time. They make short work of removing a finish, and don't have some of the issues that chemical strippers do. Not many folks use card scrapers these days, and putting a burr on them is an acquired skill. Still, there are likely some commercially available options that would run about the same as a can of paint remover.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya