Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Counting patches

Tell us how you do it
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Counting patches

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:57 am

So far I've cleaned the 20ga 18.5" barrel on my new Stevens shotgun three times.

The first clean was new-out-of-box, and it was very dirty. I was surprised at how dirty, but figured there might have been grease there from the manufacturer, too. I don't know how many blackened patches I ran through for that cleaning.
The second clean was after my sight-in range time, shot only 12 rifled slugs. Again, the barrel was extremely dirty and it took a lot of time to get it almost cleaned out. I'd estimate I used +30 patches.
The third clean was last evening. I decided to count the patches I used. After shooting 20 rifled slugs, it took me one hour and forty-five minutes to get that barrel reasonably clean, and I used 22 patches. I also had purchased an Outers Shotgun Clean Tool to use. I first ran the oiled mop through the barrel, then the 36" cleaning rod with full-length nap. It came out almost totally black. Wiped this rod down 3-4 times, re-did the cleaning process again each time. Every time it came out blacker than black. I get the "fun" task of washing that nap out today. ;)

I'm counting patches to see if there might be any change in future cleanings, whether it diminishes, or this is just a "normal dirty" after shooting less than two dozen slugs. I don't know if other folk experience such dirty s/g barrels, so just I'm throwing this cleaning issue out there and hope for any or your comments or helpful tips, which might come my way. Thanks.

Oh yes. I should probably leave this s/g in my gun cabinet (although fun to shoot), and take my Henry SGC out to the range more often. It is such a snap to get that Henry bore really clean & shiny! :)

Have a great day!
The Cleaning Nut, PT7
1 x

~Пока~