Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cleaning Question

Tell us how you do it
Rangerhgm
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Cleaning Question

Post by Rangerhgm » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:43 pm

I got my new Henry BBS 44mag Carbine to the range the other day, and I am a very happy happy man.

I had cleaned it when I received it and the final cleaning step was a patch of Ballistol down the barrel.

At the range I had shot 15 rounds....10 Fiocchi JSP 240gr and 5 Federal American Eagle JHP 240gr.

When I got home I immediately cleaned the gun.

I ran a bore swab saturated with Hoppes #9 down the barrel and left it sit for a few minutes.

Next I ran a bronze bore bush thru the barrel.....several passes.

I then ran a dry patch thru the barrel and it came out black and blueish????? Was the blueish color copper fouling?

I'm confused as to what this is because in all my many years of shooting I've never had a blueish coating on a patch?
0 x
-------
Gregg

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Cleaning Question

Post by GFK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 am

Yes, blueish color = copper is present. I noticed also the first time I cleaned my Henry. Hopefully, it will lessen as time goes on.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Rangerhgm
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Rangerhgm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:24 am

I bought some Wipe-Out and tried it.

From the left, the first couple patches were after letting the Wipe-Out in the barrel 1 hour. The 4th patch was the initial patch after letting Wipe-Out sit in the barrel over night. The remaining patches were dry patches preceded by patches with Ballistol.

Here's what the patches looked like starting from L to R
20180422_080300.jpg
I used it in one of my Glock barrels and another long gun barrel and no copper....just in this Henry.

Does the copper fouling tend to lessen with more rounds fired?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
-------
Gregg

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:34 am

Rangerhgm wrote:Does the copper fouling tend to lessen with more rounds fired?
that's a question many of us are trying to answer .... from what I've seen with ours, after considerable shooting, it appears to be .... that said, its still too early to be sure .... at no time has it made any detectable difference in accuracy ....
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am

I used to have a Big Boy 45 Colt. Great rifle. Shot Winchester lead 90% of the time. Cleaned regular and only ever had lead on the patches. When I bought the rifle the first thing I did was clean it and all I got was lead on the patches. I was surprised actually at how dirty the barrel was, but I just figured they fired it for testing at factory. No big deal. Cleaned up easy.
I only ever shot JSP ammo in it once, 50 rounds. American Eagle ammo. When I cleaned the barrel after the JSP's, my patches looked like yours. So the copper fouling in the barrel was immediate. After that, and reading about copper fouling I have stuck with lead ever since. The next good cleaning after going back to lead was just lead on the patches again.

My 1860 has never had a copper round through it. Not sure if any of this helps you, but I sure stay away from copper. Some guys might have a different opinion.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Yep, looks like mine did. I do not reload, so I was been buying what Wal-Mart had on sale. Now, I typically by Winchesters, because they seem to have tighter grouping to me.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).