Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Copper Fouling

Tell us how you do it
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Copper Fouling

Post by JEBar » Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm

shooting at the ranges I have available sure uncomplicates the process .. :D .. I put the cross hairs on what I'm shooting at and pull the trigger .... most of the time the bullet hits close enough to ring a gong, be very close to the target or drop a critter .. ;)
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue May 28, 2019 5:35 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm
shooting at the ranges I have available sure uncomplicates the process .. :D .. I put the cross hairs on what I'm shooting at and pull the trigger .... most of the time the bullet hits close enough to ring a gong, be very close to the target or drop a critter .. ;)
It's also a whole lot cheaper. Some folks will spend upwards of $30,000 on a ELR set up, not counting ammo (which can be $5-$20/rnd). Definitely a rich mans sport - or a military specialty that the taxpayers fund. Thanks, btw. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed May 29, 2019 9:06 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:25 am
JEBar wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:25 am
10-4 on big game hunting accuracy .... I purchased the 300 back when I was deer hunting "down east" in a club that literally leased fields that were a square mile or more in size .... prior to joining that club my "reach out and touch something" rifle was a BLR 308 .... it had served me well when hunting areas were 100 yards was a long shot and most were less than 50 .... in thinking back, I wish I'd of taken advantage of the opportunity to set targets out at long ranges and fire at them .... the mods mentioned earlier include one that eliminates muzzle jump .... that allowed me to actually see the bullet hit last two deer taken with it .... back then I did didn't own a range finder and my distance judgement looking over flat fields isn't very good .... about all I can say with certainty is both were over 100 but less than 200 yards .... I don't have any need much less any expectation of single bullet hole accuracy at any distance but I'd sure like to find out how she'll perform at long ranges
Anyone who has even limited shooting experience knows that accuracy and precision over a range of distances is all about angular spread, but new shooters often don't realize that. I've known new shooters that expect the same group size at 500 yds that they get at 50 yds until you explain it to them. :)
That last sentence is SO true. Some shooters[new] really expect this. Then they get pretty humbled when they shoot at 100yards and the group is ok or even good. Then they try their hand at say, 300 yards. That's when the muttering starts.
I have not shot in competition, but have gone to some matches in So-Cal and watched those guys. Impressive!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed May 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:06 am

That last sentence is SO true. Some shooters[new] really expect this. Then they get pretty humbled when they shoot at 100yards and the group is ok or even good. Then they try their hand at say, 300 yards. That's when the muttering starts.
I have not shot in competition, but have gone to some matches in So-Cal and watched those guys. Impressive!
At longer ranges - even as little as 500 yds - a miss is literally only a heartbeat away. :)

Many people could benefit by the information contained in this :

USMC Rifle Data book. Adapt as necessary for different optics/rifles.

https://www.lejeune.marines.mil/Portals ... tabook.pdf
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:42 pm
Rifletom wrote:

At longer ranges - even as little as 500 yds - a miss is literally only a heartbeat away. :)

Interesting and thanks! The first few pages are helpful for me. I am just planning to do deer hunting with a 30-30 at the most. So, my max range should be no more than 200 yards, which my Marlin and Henry should work fine.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 30, 2019 2:32 pm

history has proven a 30-30 to be a very capable deer hunting round .... on a personal level, I wouldn't hesitate to use our old Model 94 with its OEM buckhorn sights to take deer at 100 yards .... don't believe I'd be comfortable trying to make a clean kill a 200 yards .... but that's a statement on me, not one on the caliber
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm

GFK wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Rifletom wrote:

Interesting and thanks! The first few pages are helpful for me. I am just planning to do deer hunting with a 30-30 at the most. So, my max range should be no more than 200 yards, which my Marlin and Henry should work fine.
Both are fully capable of accurate placement and terminal energy at those ranges. And I'm sure you are also capable of taking deer at those ranges. Have a good hunt. :)
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu May 30, 2019 7:36 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 pm
GFK wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 pm
GunnyGene wrote:

Both are fully capable of accurate placement and terminal energy at those ranges. And I'm sure you are also capable of taking deer at those ranges. Have a good hunt. :)
Thanks!
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu May 30, 2019 7:45 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:32 pm
history has proven a 30-30 to be a very capable deer hunting round .... on a personal level, I wouldn't hesitate to use our old Model 94 with its OEM buckhorn sights to take deer at 100 yards .... don't believe I'd be comfortable trying to make a clean kill a 200 yards .... but that's a statement on me, not one on the caliber
I agree JEBar. 100 yards with buckhorn would be my max as well. With a scope, I would use a 30-30 out to 200 yards. As you mentioned, shot placement is must.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:21 am

Just a little tid-bit about copper fouling/cleaning. For light copper fouling, I've made 50-50 mix of Kroil and Hoppe's #9.
A wet patch or two thru the bore, let it set for a while; 20-30 minutes, then regular cleaning methods we use. This has worked rather well. Truth be told, I've not had any heavy copper fouling. But, that 50-50 mix works for me.
0 x