Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Copper Fouling

Tell us how you do it
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Copper Fouling

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:47 am

ESquared wrote:I'm gonna play my new guy card (still) and ask a dumb question: how do you do a prolonged "soak" of the inside of a barrel, regardless of the cleaning agent? Like Sweets' instructions to "swab for one minute." Having a hard time visualizing that...
I can only relate what I do .... I take a paper towel and twist it to where I can stuff it up into the chamber .... I then use a smaller jag (for 44 and 45 I use a 40 caliber jag) tipped with a thick patch soaked in Sweets 7.62 Solvent that slides easily up and down the barrel .... I run it up and down (swab it) for a while (I try to do so for a minute but often get distracted) ....
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm

I use a pair of bore squeegees. Covered it in this topic originally: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =10#p66880
Then transitioned it to this topic a dozen or so posts earlier from here.

In that first picture you'll see the bore squeegee stuck into a .30-30 casing. I've since reversed the direction of the squeegee so that it's threads stick out. Allows me to run a rod down the barrel. With a little bit of wiggling I can get the rod screwed onto the squeegee and then pull it out through the muzzle.
ESquared wrote:I'm gonna play my new guy card (still) and ask a dumb question: how do you do a prolonged "soak" of the inside of a barrel, regardless of the cleaning agent? Like Sweets' instructions to "swab for one minute." Having a hard time visualizing that...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:59 pm

I remember seeing you post with the pictures of the bore squeegees .... they look to me as if they should do the job .... interesting to hear that you reversed them
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:16 pm

I reversed just the one that goes into the casing that goes into the chamber. Again, after the soak the reversed squeegee, allows me run a threaded cleaning rod down the bore and screw onto the squeegee while it's still in the chamber and then draw it out through the muzzle. A picture of the latest squeegee/casing is located earlier in this topic on page 3. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 124#p67142

The 2nd squeegee plugs the muzzle during the soak time and gets popped out by hand when the soaking has completed.
JEBar wrote:I remember seeing you post with the pictures of the bore squeegees .... they look to me as if they should do the job .... interesting to hear that you reversed them
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm

10-4 .... you are operating on a much higher tech system that my paper towel plug .. :lol:
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:36 pm

I sort of remember that thread, but I sure don't recall the bore squeegies. I need to pay more attention. I also need to get out more, as I've never heard of bore squeegies.
The Remington website shows a vid with a guy pulling them out through the muzzle with a cord, but Amazon doesn't seem to have the cords. Seems like a cool idea, but I'd like to be able to use it like a bore snake (or maybe in addition to a bore snake).

Anybody know where to score the cord?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 pm

Mags wrote:.
I use a pair of bore squeegees. Covered it in this topic originally: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =10#p66880
Then transitioned it to this topic a dozen or so posts earlier from here.

In that first picture you'll see the bore squeegee stuck into a .30-30 casing. I've since reversed the direction of the squeegee so that it's threads stick out. Allows me to run a rod down the barrel. With a little bit of wiggling I can get the rod screwed onto the squeegee and then pull it out through the muzzle.
Remington Squeege's are supposed to be pulled through the bore, not pushed, as I was told by a gunsmith. I'm sure that's what you're doing but was not sure.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 pm

That must be why the Remington vid shows that method, but where do you get the cord?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:21 pm

ESquared wrote:That must be why the Remington vid shows that method, but where do you get the cord?
I use a regular cleaning rod on my bolt actions and lever guns running the cleaning rod through the muzzle then attaching the squeegee. On others I use the Otis cleaning system with a pull that has a pull through covered cable. I also use Otis RipCords on calibers that I have them.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:32 am

Yup that is what I said: "...With a little bit of wiggling I can get the rod screwed onto the squeegee and then pull it out through the muzzle.

[/quote]
Remington Squeege's are supposed to be pulled through the bore, not pushed, as I was told by a gunsmith. I'm sure that's what you're doing but was not sure.[/quote]
0 x