Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H009AW .30-30 brass tube creeping out under recoil

Tell us how you do it
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: H009AW .30-30 brass tube creeping out under recoil

Post by The Wiz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:59 pm

RanchRoper wrote:I'd be surprised if HRA doesn't just send you a new one.
I asked for a new one but they really, really wanted the rifle so I agreed.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 pm

Yes, the tube does seem to be a weak link in the system.
Sort of - I see many ways it could have been improved by the factory - but I believe keeping it clean (both the inner and outer tube) will prevent many of the common complaints about it.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:44 am

The Wiz wrote:
RanchRoper wrote:I'd be surprised if HRA doesn't just send you a new one.
I asked for a new one but they really, really wanted the rifle so I agreed.
Well maybe, the issue will get resolved first rate.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

greyrush
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by greyrush » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:12 am

I sent an email to Henry via their website contact form briefly describing my issue. Allison (@henry) has already replied and said they'll send me a new mag tube under warranty. Quick response, can't complain. Hopefully the problem won't happen again, but we'll see.

Here's a pic of what the tube pin was scraping on it's errant journey.

Until this happened I had only shot the gun at an indoor range. But when it happened I was outside in 40 degree temperatures for a few hours. Wondering if there wasn't .... shrinkage ... of some parts that allowed this to happen. :-O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Looks like the all-weather finish has taken a hit. I am not familiar with it. But, I guess it can be touch-up?
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Wow that's nasty. Hope it gets resolved real soon to your satisfaction.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Hopefully they understand the pin was too short and ensure the new tube has a correct length pin. If the new one comes with too short a pin I would simply measure the pin diameter and cut some drill stock and make a new (longer) one to replace it with.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:54 am

Mistered wrote:
If the new one comes with too short a pin I would simply measure the pin diameter and cut some drill stock and make a new (longer) one to replace it with.
That is an option. And maybe, the best one if one has the ability. Maybe, my expectations are too high. I just hate spending good money for something. Then, have to modify it or fix it to make it right. I understand we are all human. But if I have to modify something to get it to work satisfactory, I should get a kickback, discount or something. But, that is just me. Yet, replacing the pin would allow for an opportunity to clean the spring and the inside of the inner tube. So, something positive could come out of the situation.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:16 pm

Maybe, my expectations are too high. I just hate spending good money for something. Then, have to modify it or fix it to make it right.
I understand what you are saying but there are dang few things that are perfect as they are received. Heck look at how much time and money is spent modifying things by their owners - vehicles, motorcycles - and guns. While the Henrys are great rifles they are not immune to little problems or minor design flaws and the loading tube is one of them. It appears they did great on the rest of the rifle and scrimped on the loading tube and I see a few improvements they could have made on it - one could have been a spring loaded lock system as opposed to the ‘twist lock’ pin retention system used now. Also the follower on the end of the tube should be shorter and a bit larger diameter to fit the tube a little tighter without rocking so much. Also the stock rear sight on the Big Boys is one of the worst I have ever seen on any rifle and there is no shortage of owners swapping them out for something better - including me. As far as a ‘kickback’ or ‘discount’ I think you should be satisfied Henry is so forthcoming with at a minimum sending new parts free of charge - something a lot of manufacturers will never do!
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Well, I can understand about perfection. And, I am not bashing Henry. Nor, am I indicating that Henry makes bad products. If so, I would not have purchased one. I just think it is not too much to ask for things to work as advertised. As consumers, one should not accept less than what one paid for. 'Make America great again' is the theme of the day for a reason. I suspect if I wrote a check for $1,000 and Henry only got $925, someone would be looking for the other $75 or anyone for that matter. Be happy that you got $925 would not be an acceptable answer. Yet, I would rather have an item in working order initially than free shipping of parts. The way I see it, the parts should be shipped for free, and I should be paid for my time. But, to each their own. I just try and make the most of whatever the situation is. Just my 2 cent for what it is worth.
0 x