Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Happy and Sad

Tell us how you do it
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Happy and Sad

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Got my H009 back from Henry today. Ya! The bore seemed fouled when I first purchased it. So, Henry took it back to straighten it out. Well, I cleaned it just to get a baseline and get it ready for my first shot this weekend. So, I let some Hoppe's 9 Bore Cleaner set for about 15 minutes (twice). That is when I became sad. It was not as I would expect:
DSCN0473.JPG

So, I thought I would let some Hoppe's set overnight. Question: Is that a good, bad or ugly idea? I thinking it should help loosen whatever is in the bore and not harm it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I ran a mop with Hoppe's through my Marlin just for a comparison. Let it set for about 15 minutes. Then, ran a patch. I have only shot about 200 round through it so far, but it came out clean as expected.

However, my inner loading tube and scope mount filler screws concerns where addressed as expected.

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GFK on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Happy and Sad

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:42 pm

I use Ballistol and seeing patching like that is fairly routine .... so long as the bullet is on target, I don't worry about it
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 am

Thank you for your feedback. I have typically become to expect something different. When I was in the Navy, it was stressed to keep weapons cleaned to ensure reliability and for preservation. While a correctional officer, I was trained to keep weapons cleaned to ensure reliability and for preservation. Mostly everything I have read so far has stressed the importance of a clean firearm for safety, reliability, preservation and accuracy. This is the fourth new firearm I have purchased. The others have been clean from day one. This is the only one so far that I have been cleaning from day one. It is also the one I have paid the most for. I would expect something like that from a used gun. But, not for a new one. I don't buy a particular brand. If I like it and the price is acceptable, I buy it. So, none of my current firearms are of the same manufacturer. I expect this firearm to be not different in that respect to the others.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:47 am

I'm no expert, but from what I have been able to ascertain, it would only be a problem on a chrome plated bore. The reason is the plating process uses a thin coat of copper to get the chrome to stick and a nick in the chrome could allow the ammonia in the bore cleaner to degrade the copper plating in between the steel barrel and the chrome plating.

I fought the copper battle with an old mauser, and found that foaming bore solvent was the most effective. Make sure the blue/green staining on your patches is not from a brass jag or brass brush. Have you put a bore light in the breech and looked down the barrel to see if you can see streaks of copper? It was very obvious in my mauser barrel. Once I finally started getting fairly clean patches out of it, I could no longer see the streaks of copper in the barrel.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am

GFK wrote:While a correctional officer, I was trained to keep weapons cleaned to ensure reliability and for preservation. Mostly everything I have read so far has stressed the importance of a clean firearm for safety, reliability, preservation and accuracy.
well understood .... my first career was in corrections where, among other things, I was a certified instructor .... well cleaned actions (moving parts) should be the norm .... here is a link to an article covering barrel care and cleaning ===> https://www.shootingsoftware.com/fouling.htm .... I find the SHOOT IN THE BARREL section to be well worth consideration
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks for the feedback. Yes (clovishound), I am able to see brown (copper) streaks in the barrel. I will consider trying the foam next. I have also used a nylon brush and plastic patch pull loop as an attempt to avoid faults positives. I thinking about seeing what the gun shop has to say about it also. It probably should have been my first contact. But, I had already contacted Henry about a shoot-in process. So, it was sent in as a follow-up to that contact. Which, I am glad it was sent in.

Thanks for the link (JEBar). I will check it out.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Yes, I have read this link before. It is informative. It is one of the reason I thought about a shoot-in process. But, I don't think it is necessary for my purposes. Having a clean gun should work fine. I figure if I shoot and clean it enough, the pits will get filled in anyway. If not, it is still all good.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am

I don't know if I missed it in the other thread, but did Henry say what they did to the gun when they worked on it? I would have thought that they would have thoroughly cleaned the barrel somewhere in the process. If the barrel still had heavy copper fouling when it was received back from Henry, I would be on the phone talking with Henry CS. It should have been clean as a whistle when returned, unless it was repaired for other issues.

Personally, at this point I would clean the barrel to the point of removing all the copper fouling. This may take several days of cleaning. I know with the mauser, I would clean it several times a day until I finally got clean patches out of it. I tried standard bore solvent, copper fouling eraser, a tornado brush, and finally the foaming bore cleaner. The last one was recommended by the gunsmith at my LGS. That seemed to be the one that finally got me to clean patches, but it took several days of use.

With a lever gun, be careful to stand the rifle on the muzzle and insert the tube from the foaming cleaner well into the breech. You don't want to have to disassemble and clean the action to remove all the foaming cleaner from the action.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback clovishound. Yes, the work order stated that the bore was cleaned, inner load tube replaced and scope dummy screws were replaced. Based on how much effort it now takes to cycle the lever, I think it was replaced also. I did send a e-mail to Henry WI on the 11th about what was done. I have not received a response yet.

Yes, I would expect for it to be clean as a whistle also. A clean patch was included in the return. But, I could still see brown streaks in the bore. I don't know what was used to clean it. I did pick up and use some Hoppe's foam last night. I put a towel in the receiver and went from the muzzle end though. Hoppe's 9 with a brush and elbow grease seems to be putting a dent in it. As you pointed out, it is taking some time though. I can see some improvements. I still have some work to do though. The patches are cleaner. I have spent about 3-4 hours the past two nights cleaning it. I may take a break for a day.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm

That's unfortunate for sure. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully