Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.357 inner load tube end plug removal

Tell us how you do it
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

.357 inner load tube end plug removal

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:42 am

It appears the inner load tube end plug pin is pressed into the brass tube as I can slightly 'rock' the plug but cannot feel the pin move but I would appreciate someone confirming this who has removed theirs. Thanks!
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: .357 inner load tube end plug removal

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Can I ask why you want to remove it?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Because I positively want to clean the spring and the inside of the tube. Part of the loading issue I am resolving I discovered (along with deburring and beveling the follower end of the tube) is/was the spring was hanging up on insertion and this was pushing the rounds forward and causing the lever to kick open. If you read my post about cleaning it with a shotgun mop it is now slicker than snot with NO hangups on loading BUT I want to clean it completely and make sure there are no burrs or metal debris in the tube.
Also I need to remove it to install the new follower I plan to machine to replace the original which I believe was made too long and of to small a diameter.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've had to do that on two inner tubes that I cut down to make a Mare's Leg. In my case I just cut the tube shorter, redrilled and put in new pins. But that won't help you.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:11 pm

redrilled and put in new pins.
So then did you press the pins into through TUBE then? I see around the hole on the protruding end of the pin it appears the brass is a bit flared outward so I am assuming the pin is pressed through the tube.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Mistered wrote:
redrilled and put in new pins.
So then did you press the pins into through TUBE then? I see around the hole on the protruding end of the pin it appears the brass is a bit flared outward so I am assuming the pin is pressed through the tube.
Yes but it didn't take much. In your case I would contact Henry and ask for a complete inner tube.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:00 pm

I would contact Henry and ask for a complete inner tube.
I might do that but I will still need to take it apart.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:23 pm

The inner tube of the H009 I am looking to pick up in a couple of weeks has tarnished. After connecting Henry, the tube would not be replaced under warranty as long as it works. This does not seem like your case. When I checked on replacement parts, Henry has them for about $22. I am assuming it is a high replacement item. Nonetheless, I may consider replacing it. But, I will see how well it cleans up first. I do not want to use a brass cleaner because, it starts a time consuming, continuing upkeep process. So, I plan to use oil.

Is my assumption wrong? Does the inner tube require replacement often?

Thanks,
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:56 pm

GFK wrote:The inner tube of the H009 I am looking to pick up in a couple of weeks has tarnished. ... I do not want to use a brass cleaner because, it starts a time consuming, continuing upkeep process. So, I plan to use oil.

Is my assumption wrong? Does the inner tube require replacement often?
The inner tube should not wear out, but it could be damaged, so I would just be careful with it. As for the brass, I first use Flitz polish and then a light coating of Ballistol. The brass does not seem to tarnish or need a lot of attention after that. A little Ballistol every once in a while seems to keep it looking great.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Does the inner tube require replacement often?
Not normally as long as they are not abused or bent (or lost) which happens when they are taken out too often. The inner load tube is protected as long as it is kept inside the outer tube but are relatively thin and can be damaged easily. If the one on your potential purchase is tarnished it needs to be cleaned but oil is not a cleaning substance. I would recommend something but at a minimum the exterior should be polished with some fine scotchbrite and maybe a light spray oil such as Rem-Oil. The interior however I would consider what I previously suggested using a 20 ga shotgun mop but in your case with maybe a light coat of water based valve lapping compound to clean and polish the inside of it. It's imperative the inside of the tube is clean and smooth and the spring does not hang up or you will experience loading difficulties. Read my thread on what I did to improve the inner loading tube problem I had with mine - and most seem to have.
2 x