Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Any special considerations for cleaning Big Boy Silver?

Tell us how you do it
SilverBoy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Any special considerations for cleaning Big Boy Silver?

Post by SilverBoy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I have a new Big Boy Silver that I bought this past Spring. I had a new baby in May, so I only had a chance to shoot it twice since then. Never in bad weather, and I always made sure it was cleaned up before storage. I pulled it out for deer season this weekend, and noticed that it developed quite a bit of surface rust on the lever and on the gnarled end of the loading port tube. I was able to get most of that wiped away, and I think I'm good in that department. However, the silver seems to be pretty tarnished as well. What gives? This rifle has been stored in a case and was put away spotless. I've read a lot about cleaning up the Brass receivers, but I wasn't sure if that was applicable for silver as well. I don't mind it developing a patina (and I'm actually looking forward to that, since maybe it won't show every single fingerprint!), but this seems much more random and spotty I'd like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Any special considerations for cleaning Big Boy Silver?

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:50 pm

Id contact customer service at Henry and see what the Silver actually is before doing anything harsh with it. There is silver polish available at the supermarkets but I would like to know what that silver is first and how durable the coating is. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55