Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leather gun sleeve/case

Tell us how you do it
y2k-fxst
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Leather gun sleeve/case

Post by y2k-fxst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Been thinking about building a wool lined leather gun sleeve for my BBB. Was wondering if anyone here has done so, if so can you post pictures? Also, what have you found out that you would do different the next time?
0 x
Just pickin brains, mines worn out! :D

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Leather gun sleeve/case

Post by PT7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:58 pm

y2k-fxst: Some thoughts/comments on your two posts re. options to carry your BBB: This post on a Gun Sleeve, and your earlier post on a Sling. I've not used either of the products you're working with. But did make my choice between the two rifle carry options you present.

You may plan to use your sling either to carry your rifle, or to stabilize it when shooting. I've tried a sling for stabilizing a gun, but decided I only wanted something to carry it around the range (I have access to a large, private-owned outdoor range), or through the fields when heading toward deer blinds in the fall. So I got a "Quiver" a couple of years ago. It's a quality product and I've used it quite a bit.

Last year on the Henry Forum, there were some discussion threads about scabbards, slings, etc. In March 2016, there was one with subject line of "Scabbards." Squatch's pictures are not available now in that thread....too bad. I remember that his equipment looked good. I did post a stock photo of the "Quiver," which I bought. Skinner Sights still has it available on their web site. The "Quiver" is the last item listed on the Scabbards page. http://www.skinnersights.com/scabbards_20.html

Finally, here is that Henry thread for you to check out: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=quiver

BTW, this product is not at all "underwhelming" from my perspective. Quite the contrary. I'd buy one again, if needed. So between a sleeve or sling, the sleeve is my best choice to handle my Henry, or other long gun. I've used it for my Henry SGC with the 16.5" barrel, a Henry BBB with 20" barrel, and my Benelli Nova Tactical pump shotgun with 18.5" barrel. Worked just fine on all three of these long guns. I like it.

Best with your choice of a rifle carry system.
PT7
y2k-fxst wrote:Been thinking about building a wool lined leather gun sleeve for my BBB. Was wondering if anyone here has done so, if so can you post pictures? Also, what have you found out that you would do different the next time?
y2k-fxst wrote:So, I finally broke down and ordered the Brass Stacker harness sling for my BBB, did not get the optional bandoleer for ammo since there is already enough forward barrel weight. Received it yesterday, for the price I'm kinda underwhelmed.

The harness does snuggly fit the stock for now, just wondering how much and how fast it will stretch. To me it seems like the leather is slightly on the thin side. Also the snaps that fasten it were not completely tight. I have done some leather work in the past so I had the tools to tighten them up some, didn't take much but wonder how long it would have taken for them to come apart if I hadn't tightened them.

The sling that came with it was also underwhelming. I would have been almost happier if they would have offered it as an option and only included the swivels. It is a plain leather strap with a few holes in it for mounting the swivels and some small amount of adjustment. When they dyed the strap they managed to get some dye on the bottom side, looked kind of like a hand print, that was very noticeable. This morning I used some Neats Foot Oil on the sling to the bottom side and it did blend the color in some but, it did soak clear through to the front side. Made the front a mottled look, so then I ended up doing the front also. Darkened the finish some, but also softened the sling to where it is more comfortable.

I would do the harness also with the Neats Foot Oil to help protect it since I do plan on using my rifle in all weather, But, I'm afraid it will soften the leather to the point it will stretch it even faster.

Anybody else have any comments on the Brass Stacker harness sling, or experience with it after use?
0 x

~Пока~

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Here's one I made for my Kentucky black powder rifle. It's not lined but I never used it for long term storage. Now you've got me thinking, I got one of these Sack-Ups for my BBB, maybe I'll try to use it to line a leather sheath for my Henry. I've got quite a bit of leather left from my Rendezvous days, was always going to make some leather pants but never did get around to it.

http://www.sackups.com/

Edit: So I just saw PT7's post and I think I misunderstood what you meant by a sleeve.
5 x

y2k-fxst
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by y2k-fxst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:29 pm

PT7 wrote:y2k-fxst: Some thoughts/comments on your two posts re. options to carry your BBB: This post on a Gun Sleeve, and your earlier post on a Sling. I've not used either of the products you're working with. But did make my choice between the two rifle carry options you present.

You may plan to use your sling either to carry your rifle, or to stabilize it when shooting. I've tried a sling for stabilizing a gun, but decided I only wanted something to carry it around the range (I have access to a large, private-owned outdoor range), or through the fields when heading toward deer blinds in the fall. So I got a "Quiver" a couple of years ago. It's a quality product and I've used it quite a bit.

Last year on the Henry Forum, there were some discussion threads about scabbards, slings, etc. In March 2016, there was one with subject line of "Scabbards." Squatch's pictures are not available now in that thread....too bad. I remember that his equipment looked good. I did post a stock photo of the "Quiver," which I bought. Skinner Sights still has it available on their web site. The "Quiver" is the last item listed on the Scabbards page. http://www.skinnersights.com/scabbards_20.html

Finally, here is that Henry thread for you to check out: http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... lit=quiver

BTW, this product is not at all "underwhelming" from my perspective. Quite the contrary. I'd buy one again, if needed. So between a sleeve or sling, the sleeve is my best choice to handle my Henry, or other long gun. I've used it for my Henry SGC with the 16.5" barrel, a Henry BBB with 20" barrel, and my Benelli Nova Tactical pump shotgun with 18.5" barrel. Worked just fine on all three of these long guns. I like it.

Best with your choice of a rifle carry system.
PT7
y2k-fxst wrote:Been thinking about building a wool lined leather gun sleeve for my BBB. Was wondering if anyone here has done so, if so can you post pictures? Also, what have you found out that you would do different the next time?
y2k-fxst wrote:So, I finally broke down and ordered the Brass Stacker harness sling for my BBB, did not get the optional bandoleer for ammo since there is already enough forward barrel weight. Received it yesterday, for the price I'm kinda underwhelmed.

The harness does snuggly fit the stock for now, just wondering how much and how fast it will stretch. To me it seems like the leather is slightly on the thin side. Also the snaps that fasten it were not completely tight. I have done some leather work in the past so I had the tools to tighten them up some, didn't take much but wonder how long it would have taken for them to come apart if I hadn't tightened them.

The sling that came with it was also underwhelming. I would have been almost happier if they would have offered it as an option and only included the swivels. It is a plain leather strap with a few holes in it for mounting the swivels and some small amount of adjustment. When they dyed the strap they managed to get some dye on the bottom side, looked kind of like a hand print, that was very noticeable. This morning I used some Neats Foot Oil on the sling to the bottom side and it did blend the color in some but, it did soak clear through to the front side. Made the front a mottled look, so then I ended up doing the front also. Darkened the finish some, but also softened the sling to where it is more comfortable.

I would do the harness also with the Neats Foot Oil to help protect it since I do plan on using my rifle in all weather, But, I'm afraid it will soften the leather to the point it will stretch it even faster.

Anybody else have any comments on the Brass Stacker harness sling, or experience with it after use?
Two different posts for two different purposes. The sling is for carry in the woods, the sleeve is for transport on the road. In Iowa guns have to be unloaded and cased when transporting.

And, yes the Brass Stacker sling did underwhelm me for the cost. Was hoping for a little heavier leather and less sloppy finish on the sling for ~$90.
0 x
Just pickin brains, mines worn out! :D

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 am

I use this one for my 1860 Henry....from Triple K. Not lined however, so I keep the rifle in a sock inside it. Just so any oil won't stain the leather. That's how I transport unless horseback, then it's in the scabbard. The quality is good on the buckskin sheath, and price was right for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

chuckcook
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by chuckcook » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Northwest Traders made this period wool lined leather case for my Sharps. They're in the process of making one for my Henry 1860. Hopefully, it will be finished next week. They do excellent work at a reasonable price.

Last edited by chuckcook on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
“You’re a daisy if you do.”

NRA Life Member
SASS 11461

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Nice! Post photos of the Henry one when you get it, I'd be interested in a lined one. Great photos. Love the wagon. Good attention to detail. Well done.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

chuckcook
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by chuckcook » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:32 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Nice! Post photos of the Henry one when you get it, I'd be interested in a lined one. Great photos. Love the wagon. Good attention to detail. Well done.
Thanks RR! I'll post the new case when it comes in. The wagon and I have been friends for 20+ years. We've had more fun together than should be allowed.
0 x

NRA Life Member
SASS 11461

chuckcook
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by chuckcook » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Today the postman delivered the Northwest Traders case for my 1860 Henry. Another excellent job by NWT!

3 x

NRA Life Member
SASS 11461

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Very nice!
1 x