Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

DSX Lubricants

Tell us how you do it
Les
Cowboy
South Africa

DSX Lubricants

Post by Les » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:47 pm

I bought some DSX lube and grease a while ago after hearing about it on another forum, and I still can't make my mind up about it. It was supposedly introduced during Desert Shield, to counteract the effects of fine sand etc destroying equipment.

I haven't met anybody else over here who has used it, so I thought I'd ask you guys in the country of origin if you know anything about it. Personally, I don't think it's any better than Ballistol, or any one of 1001 other lubes that are available .... or am I missing something?

http://www.dsxequiptech.com/dsx-extreme ... -lube-kit/
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: DSX Lubricants

Post by PT7 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Les,

Just need to comment being a nutso firearms cleaning nut. I try out quite a few of the items that other Folk have tried. I have one qualification. The Folk need to share convincing positive evals tied to their cleaning experiences. That's what I look for.

Your hesitancy in your last statement is why I'm posting. I probably wouldn't try this product, as the design purpose was to combat (pun intended) the fine sands that went along with Desert Shield. I don't face that issue at all here in KC. :roll:

Sometimes even a highly recommended product doesn't work for me. There were some good posts/chats on our Forum re. Ballistol, and the excellent CLP that people found it to be. I was surprised that it didn't work for me, and I seldom use it now. I'll finish the bottle I have, but will buy no more. Another Forum chat was on how good Sea Foam products are. I checked it out at a local auto shop here, "Auto Zone," and read very little on the can's label re. gun cleaning. Guns were listed as one of the many products this could be used for, but was low on the listed items. There were listed mostly auto/truck parts, tools, hinges and moving metal parts frozen up by rust, etc. Honestly I don't know why, but I decided to try it.

At the moment (that may change with the wind), this Sea Foam Deep Creep is the best gun cleaner I have in my cleaning box! My shotgun barrel is a real bear to clean, especially getting the shot shell plastic out. When I used Deep Creep to clean the barrel this week, it did a great job for me. It has been a long time since I've seen the shiny, mirror-like bore I looked at this go-around. For me, it was a great shotgun cleaning job that ended up the way I wanted it to! I'll continue to use Deep Creep...until the next super product appears. ;)

I think you may have already answered your Q when you said "I don't think it's any better than....." Also you haven't yet found anyone near you that has used it. That seems to say something, as well. So I'd go with your kneejerk reaction....unless you bring a lot of sand into the house in your shoes. :lol:

Thanks for letting me spout on very little.
1 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Les
I never heard of this before you mentioned it.I use alot of Kroil and Eezox. I like both of those. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:14 am

All I can say, Al, is that if you ever do come across it and feel tempted to give it a try - don't bother.

I have managed to find out that it contains mostly water, 40% silicone, 2% Teflon, 4% glycol (or similar), and 5% ethanol (or similar) . Using water as a lube doesn't sound that good to me, and silicone on sliding metal-to-metal surfaces is a recipe for disaster. The glycol probably helps in cold climates, and the ethanol will reduce the surface tension and allow it to spread evenly. All in all, it will spend a lot more time in my cupboards than it will on my guns. ;)

I have a tin of Kroil that I use on tight or corroded nuts, but I must admit I've never tried it as a pure lubricant.
1 x