Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tipton "Ultra Gun Vise"

Tell us how you do it
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Tipton "Ultra Gun Vise"

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 pm

tractortad wrote:First I've heard of the Tipton "Ultra Gun Vise" - looks like it is heavier duty and a lot more adjustable than their "Best Gun Vise" - don't know if it's worth the extra $100 over an MTM or not - probably worth checking out in person at a Cabella's....
I took the above advice and checked it out .... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7 ... UTF8&psc=1.... frankly, I'm very happy to be able to say I did .... I ordered one a few days ago and it arrived today .... my first impression is that it is much sturdier than I anticipated .... given the fact it is made of plastic, its design and metal reinforcement make it surprisingly sturdy ..... it does have a central support that seems to be built for use with AR type rifles ..... I doubt I will use it very much ..... my main anticipated uses are for mounting scopes, some cleaning, and some light gunsmithing .... the first scope I plan to mount will be on our Henry 45-70, that should tell the tell as to how well it handles heavy long guns
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Tipton "Ultra Gun Vise"

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 am

I have the Tipton Best Gun Vise, also ordered from Amazon.
I ordered it about a eighteen months ago, and have used it mainly for cleaning of the various long guns, but did use it when I installed the Skinner Sights on the Big Boy Carbine. I have found it to be very satisfactory so far, though you have to make sure you tighten the pads well. I found that by careful placement of the center rest, so that IT provides traction, you can easily prevent movement front and back as you run the bore patches thru the bore. :lol:

I open the drawers to the desk slightly and clamp the vise to the desktop to prevent movement when using the vise. I haven't gone the last step and drilled into the desk to secure it, although, this is a surplus desk bought for my office from Goodwill. ;) It just goes against my woodworker's heart to drill that nice desktop.

I think there is about a $30 difference in price between the two Gun vises, but the one you purchased wasn't available when I picked up mine. There was another option from a different manufacturer, but the reviews on that one were not very good. I have been happy so far, and since I am not doing a lot of work on long guns, didn't see the need to buy a real high dollar vise like a buddy has. :)
12.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:54 am

info appreciated .... I looked at the "Best" vise and felt that it would probably be OK for most of what I need a vise to help with .... in reading its ratings on Amazon I found a good number of comments about it being flimsy .... one never knows how much force was being applied or how the vise was being used .... there were some similar evals of the Ultra but there were many more that noted how sturdy it is .... figuring I only hope to buy one and with such a small difference in price, I decided to go with the Ultra
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 pm

JEBar wrote:info appreciated .... I looked at the "Best" vise and felt that it would probably be OK for most of what I need a vise to help with .... in reading its ratings on Amazon I found a good number of comments about it being flimsy .... one never knows how much force was being applied or how the vise was being used .... there were some similar evals of the Ultra but there were many more that noted how sturdy it is .... figuring I only hope to buy one and with such a small difference in price, I decided to go with the Ultra
I probably would have too, with the small price difference. But like I said, when I bought mine, it wasn't listed. ;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:59 pm

I looked at the Tipton but then saw the Lyman. I'm thinking the Lyman may be a bit more versatile since it can rotate. Thoughts?
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:37 pm

I have the Lyman, and it's OK, but I'd say it doesn't have the same range of adjustment possibilities as the Tipton e.g., the adjustable front rest. The ability to rotate is very useful on the Lyman, and it can accomodate anything from pistols to the longest rifles. I think it comes down to personal choice at the end of the day. Each unit has it's own good and bad points, I imagine.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Agree with Les .... I looked at both and as noted the ability to rotate a rifle .... in the end, my decision was heavily influenced by positive comments from folks I know who have the Ultra and I don't have a marked need for the rotation feature .... if needed I can always turn the rifle upside down and put it back in the vise
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:14 pm

earlier today I used our Ultra Gun Vice for the first time .... it took me a few minutes to figure out how to make fine adjustments needed to hold a long gun perfectly level .... I no longer have any concerns as to its strength and have found it provides a very stable platform
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Good info, folks. I've been wanting to get the Tipton and now I'll probably just go ahead and do it.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:I have the Tipton Best Gun Vise, also ordered from Amazon.
I ordered it about a eighteen months ago, and have used it mainly for cleaning of the various long guns, but did use it when I installed the Skinner Sights on the Big Boy Carbine. I have found it to be very satisfactory so far, though you have to make sure you tighten the pads well. I found that by careful placement of the center rest, so that IT provides traction, you can easily prevent movement front and back as you run the bore patches thru the bore. :lol:

I open the drawers to the desk slightly and clamp the vise to the desktop to prevent movement when using the vise. I haven't gone the last step and drilled into the desk to secure it, although, this is a surplus desk bought for my office from Goodwill. ;) It just goes against my woodworker's heart to drill that nice desktop.

I think there is about a $30 difference in price between the two Gun vises, but the one you purchased wasn't available when I picked up mine. There was another option from a different manufacturer, but the reviews on that one were not very good. I have been happy so far, and since I am not doing a lot of work on long guns, didn't see the need to buy a real high dollar vise like a buddy has. :)
12.jpg
I was thinking about getting a similar vise. I recently used a Tipton metal jag and had a very, very, very tight fit. So much so, I wondered if I would get it out of the barrel. I was using a plastic one. I thought a metal one would be more sturdy. Hence, my reason for looking for a vise.

How well does it hold? Is the a concern of damaging the finish? Also, is that your I Love Me Wall?

Thanks,
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).