Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How many of you use a jag?

Tell us how you do it
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: How many of you use a jag?

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:32 pm

PT7 wrote:Jim ---> I did some internet shopping today. Decided on and ordered the Tipton Brass Jag set. I have jags for all the other calibers I own except the .45LC. I may get a new Henry rifle some day with yet a completely different caliber. So with this set I think I'll have all bases covered.

that was my theory in ordering the set .... the fact is, most of the jags are sizes I've never needed or every anticipate needing .... what I found was I could order the set for about the same cost as the 4 I needed
0 x

MadCityJack
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MadCityJack » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:07 am

Good infö here!
0 x
Henry Steel Carbine 357/38; Skinner Receiver Peep Sight

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:
This kit by Remington uses a squeegee pull through plug. Not a traditional jag but they work very well. I picked up a smaller kit for pistols and I was impressed how clean the barrel is after one pull through.
You don't use a patch with it just clean the barrel as you would normally then pull the plug through.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71744 ... eaning-kit
I've been using the Remington squeegees for several years, they really save on patches. I do run a patch or two after the squeegee and follow with a lightly oiled bore mop.

Several members have posted they use a cable system to clean from the breech so they don't get a lot of gunk in the action. I prefer a rod (with a brass protector) and find that if I'm reasonably careful running the cleaning brush back and forth, you don't get any grime in in the breech that you can't easily clean out with a Q-tip. Then run the rod down the barrel, use some tweezers to hold the the squeegee in the breech while turning the rod to thread it on the rod, pull the rod out and all the gunk comes out the end of the barrel.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Out of curiosity, I have cleaned the action thoroughly, then run a brush down the bore several times, then run a clean Qtip around the action. I didn't see any crud that was obvious. Not scientific. In practice, I clean the barrel first, working from the muzzle if the breech is not accessible. I clean the action last to remove any crud transferred from the bore to the action. You are going to have some crud in the action anyway, and it will need to be cleaned.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Pro shot makes tactical jags that can be used from the chamber to the bore using a cable. I use one for cleaning my Henry 357mag., it works great.
0 x

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Pro shot makes tactical jags that can be used from the chamber to the bore using a cable. I use one for cleaning my Henry 357mag., it works great.
JEBar wrote:recommendations requested ....

Tipton 13 Piece Rifle Brass Jag Set ... https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Piece-Rif ... RCKBGYZ2SH

OR

Hoppe's No. 9, 13-Piece Brass Jag Kit ... https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-No-13-Pie ... RCKBGYZ2SH

question .....

does any company make jags for use with cables that clean in the direction of the chamber out of the barrel
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:41 pm

I ended up buying the jags above .... one end of each jag has a point with which you can punch a hole in a patch .... I then drop my cable down the barrel and into the chamber .... insert the threaded end of the jag through the hole in the patch and screw it into the cable .... you can then pull the patched jag back out of the barrel
0 x

rigger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by rigger » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:29 am

I think it's better to use stainless jags for cleaning. The brass can be dissolved by solvent and look like copper fowling even after the barrel is clean.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:51 am

I think eyelets are best for soaking a bore with solvent, jags are the best way to give it a good wipe.
I use brushes, eyelets and jags, but if I only had one tool to clean with, I'd pick the jag.
I loosen dirt with a wet copper brush, swab the bore with a sloppy wet patch on the eyelet, wait, do some more brushing, then use the wiping jag. If it doesn't wipe clean within a few patches I start over again. Happiness is a clean barrel.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 pm

When I don't remove the bolt from my lever, I use the flex cable method that is shown in this link below. But, it seems just as easy to remove the lever and bolt to clean from the bolt end also. It depends on how many time I want to spend cleaning my rifle. I use a jag and brush when cleaning from the bolt and a slot tip and brush when cleaning through the breech. I think using a jag does a better job though.

https://www.henryusa.com/henry-instruct ... 009-h009b/
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).