Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How many of you use a jag?

Tell us how you do it
RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: How many of you use a jag?

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:32 am

JEBar wrote:recommendations requested ....

Tipton 13 Piece Rifle Brass Jag Set ... https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Piece-Rif ... RCKBGYZ2SH

OR

Hoppe's No. 9, 13-Piece Brass Jag Kit ... https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-No-13-Pie ... RCKBGYZ2SH

question .....

does any company make jags for use with cables that clean in the direction of the chamber out of the barrel
This kit by Remington uses a squeegee pull through plug. Not a traditional jag but they work very well. I picked up a smaller kit for pistols and I was impressed how clean the barrel is after one pull through.
You don't use a patch with it just clean the barrel as you would normally then pull the plug through.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71744 ... eaning-kit
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:17 pm

I have seen jags that had a point on the threaded end. You could use that point to punch through a patch and then screw the jag onto the cable end and pull through. A quick search on the internet did not scare them up. Alternately, I suppose you could punch a hole in the center of the patch, and use a standard jag.

Sounds like a lot of trouble pulling the jag off the cable every time you put a new patch on.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Otis have a pull through system that uses a loop, but the patch is designed in such a way that it resembles an umbrella when it is assembled. This cleans the bore evenly. I used this system briefly until I ran out of patches. The replacements cost silly money here, so I just use my own patches now.

http://www.otistec.com/Company/About_Us.asp
http://www.otistec.com/pc_product_detai ... DFFF29C9C4
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:39 pm

clovishound wrote:I have seen jags that had a point on the threaded end. You could use that point to punch through a patch and then screw the jag onto the cable end and pull through. A quick search on the internet did not scare them up. Alternately, I suppose you could punch a hole in the center of the patch, and use a standard jag.

Sounds like a lot of trouble pulling the jag off the cable every time you put a new patch on.
10-4 on punching a hole, that's probably the route I'll go
0 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:32 am

Jag and rod is the only way to go. No eyelets or pull through systems.
0 x

Beech Creek Gary
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Beech Creek Gary » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Both of those sets probably come out of the same factory.
0 x
Attack Squadron 65 - US Navy - 1964-1968

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 am

Thought I would ask for some help on finding a specific size bronze jag ---- having trouble finding it on the net.

I commented earlier in the thread that I clean all my firearms with bronze jags, and they work great. They also help me to retain my reputation of a "cleaning nut!" ;) I recently started shooting my derringer using a .45LC barrel. But I haven't been able to find a .45LC bronze jag in my LGS, nor at the KCKS large Cabelas. Anyway have a suggestion where I can find it on the net? I've been searching, but not having much luck with this one. Seems odd to me....maybe I'm typing the incorrect description of the part.

TIA....appreciate your help.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 am

I ordered a set from Amazon that included a 45 jag that I use on our 45-70 .... https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Piece-Rif ... aning+jags .... it apparently is a precision jag because it works well on the 45-70 but will not work on our 44 mag
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:45 pm

PT I don't think you will find a jag listed as a 45 long Colt. The term long colt came after the 45 acp was developed. Before the acp the round was simply referred to as the 45 or 45 colt.
The term long colt just became used because the round was longer than the automatic round. So any .45 jag will work. Some manufacturers have tighter tolerances than others.
My experience with brass jags is that they all seem smaller than the bore they are designed for. Some are so loose that I can use two patches. I also have gotten good cleaning using a nylon bore brush with a cleaning patch.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Appreciate the help/suggestions you guys sent my way.

RSb ---> I was wondering why I had so much trouble finding a .45LC jag. Your explanation makes sense to me...thanks.
And I agree. Brass jags do seem smaller than the bore they're designed to help clean. I've found that particularly the case for my 20-gauge shotgun. I've used double patches as you have.
RetiredSeabee wrote:PT I don't think you will find a jag listed as a 45 long Colt. The term long colt came after the 45 acp was developed. Before the acp the round was simply referred to as the 45 or 45 colt.
The term long colt just became used because the round was longer than the automatic round. So any .45 jag will work. Some manufacturers have tighter tolerances than others.
My experience with brass jags is that they all seem smaller than the bore they are designed for. Some are so loose that I can use two patches. I also have gotten good cleaning using a nylon bore brush with a cleaning patch.
Jim ---> I did some internet shopping today. Decided on and ordered the Tipton Brass Jag set. I have jags for all the other calibers I own except the .45LC. I may get a new Henry rifle some day with yet a completely different caliber. So with this set I think I'll have all bases covered.
JEBar wrote:I ordered a set from Amazon that included a 45 jag that I use on our 45-70 .... https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Piece-Rif ... aning+jags .... it apparently is a precision jag because it works well on the 45-70 but will not work on our 44 mag
0 x

~Пока~