Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How many of you use a jag?

Tell us how you do it
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

How many of you use a jag?

Post by clovishound » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Just curious. I discovered them several years ago and was instantly hooked. I had never heard of them before, not many talk about using them. I recently took the NRA basic pistol class online to prepare for basic pistol instructor course. I noticed in the picture they show both a jag and an eyelet, but only mention the jag for pushing a patch through.

I have found that they clean so much more out of a bore than using an eyelet. Get a nice tight fit and they also do a great job of removing lead. The only issue I have is that you have to be careful about the size and thickness of the patch. Too big or thick of a patch and they are too tough to push through the bore.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: How many of you use a jag?

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 pm

I use both but most of the time I use an eyelet .... I have some plastic jags that do OK but like the metal ones better
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:52 pm

I use bronze jags to clean all my firearms...good tool, and they clean the barrels well.
You're right on the patch thickness. I make my own patches, and if I cut them a little too large, they don't go.
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:15 pm

I as well use Jags bronze. Tipton makes a nice set with all the sizes. I have one for my cleaning chores. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 am

I use Jags on my bolt action rifles, and a loop made from fishing line etc on my semi auto's. I feed the looped line in from the muzzle and fit a patch at the breech end. The jags definitely do a better cleaning job than eyelets.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 am

I use a brass jag, too. I have one for each caliber I shoot. When I bought my brass jags, I also bought a brass rod. They're a great combination.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:14 am

I only use a brass jag now. I used the loop years ago and never looked back after using the jags. The jags let the patch fold back when in the bore to give a very good fit and equal coverage to the jag as to not rub the bore. The loop cannot equal the jag in my opinion.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:55 pm

I use a jag every cleaning. The loops just don't get a good full contact cleaning. I can push a jag and patch through the bore and get clean patches in just a few runs.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:24 pm

recommendations requested ....

Tipton 13 Piece Rifle Brass Jag Set ... https://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Piece-Rif ... RCKBGYZ2SH

OR

Hoppe's No. 9, 13-Piece Brass Jag Kit ... https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-No-13-Pie ... RCKBGYZ2SH

question .....

does any company make jags for use with cables that clean in the direction of the chamber out of the barrel
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 am

I can't really see the point on the Tipton set, but the Hoppe's look fine. The sharp point will make "spearing" the patch a lot easier than jags with a rounded end.
1 x