Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Clean that bore on the 22's

Tell us how you do it
ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Clean that bore on the 22's

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 pm

I believe in regular, but gentle, cleaning. Even .22's. I use Ballistol and boresnakes.
0 x

ronnie
Tenderfoot

Post by ronnie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:35 pm

More great stuff Have used for years .Apply with fingers drys real quick buff with cotton rags and re apply buff again and enjoy the results.
Don't think there is anything better.Can be applied to wood steel leather plastics used by museums forever.Buy a can and it will last for years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

google it for gun mtce. https://www.google.ca/search?q=rennasau ... TTUfbTsPgE

R
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:42 pm

I like FrogLube for the exterior of my firearms. I know they say it works great on moving parts but I've found that even a trace amount of it will turn to wax in sub-zero weather. None of my Henrys liked it. The firing pin would not slip through the bolt and my H001's would not go bang.

An expensive natural hair paintbrush and just a drop of FrogLube on the bristles and you are ready to paint the exterior. If you want to get rid of fine dust for photography its the thing you want. After you have done a few rifles the paint brush gets the lube everywhere on it and gets even better with more use. Don't use it for anything else. If I get too much on the firearm I will take a small terrycloth washcloth and wipe it off. Keep that washcloth and never wash it. After awhile it too gets built up with the lube and you can then use it to wipe down things either adding lube or taking it away. Then go back to the paintbrush and remove any lint the rag might have left. It will almost make your firearm finger proof if you get it just right.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:46 am

Clean after every range time here. Just a natural to-do for me; well-known by my kids as "The Cleaning Nut." :roll:
I come alongside two others on bore cleaning.

1) Just like Squatch I'm somewhat "old-school." I use Hoppe's No. 9 same way with a wet patch, then bronze bore brush, more dry patches until clean --- all done slowly and very, very carefully with a cleaning rod and plastic slot from muzzle end. Final patch run through is with a dab of RemOil. After the Henry rests on the cleaning rest for a while, a couple of passes with a bore mop puts on the finishing touch. Always works well.

Also use RemOil to clean the barrel, metal, all non-wood. Lightly dry it off with a micro-fiber cloth. About the only thing I would change in this routine is to use G96 in place of Hoppe's No. 9. It's a very good CLP product. Then I don't use the RemOil.

2) Per Ronnie's suggestion on the Renaissance Wax. That's all I've used on my Henrys' wood, and it does a great job for me. It's quite simple, too.

When I'm done cleaning, I have to turn off the workshop light. The Henry is just too dazzling to behold! 8-)
1 x

~Пока~

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:35 am

If a firearm is going to be in the safe for a while, I use Boeshield T-9 when dry it leaves a waxy coating. Also I'm still in the number 9 camp for cleaning. I will check out the yellow can Johnson's wax as I always keep some in the gun room. Thanks to all of you for an informative discussion.
0 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:11 am

1st off I was raised by a U.S.M.C. Sargent, who's life revolved around guns, hunting, reloading etc. I was taught to clean my weapons after each use. Right or wrong that's been embedded in my skull since before I can remember.
If I fail to do this I feel the OLD Marine is looking down at me from the Happy Hunting Grounds just shaking his head saying; Boy I thought I taught you better. As such I taught my children the same old fashion ways of days gone by.
When someone picks up one of my firearms, they always comment on how clean they are. I take pride in that.
I don't really own the guns, I'm just the caretaker of them until the next person takes over the job. They will be around for a very long time, and hopefully in the hands of my family for generations to come.
My 20+ years in the USCG also taught me the same principles of weapon cleaning that my Dad instilled in me and my little brother. Just my .02 cents worth.
1 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 pm

I have a Ruger Mark I target pistol in .22lr. I bought it new in 1976. I have cleaned it after every trip to the range. It has seem many multiple thousands of rounds over the years. It still is a tack driver. I don't field strip it every range visit, but found from experience that after a large amount of rounds (perhaps a thousand or more) without field strip cleaning, I will start to have feed and fire problems.

I don't see how running a brush or patch down the bore could do more damage than a bullet traveling down the bore. If you introduce an abrasive other than what was already in the bore then perhaps it might, but that is unlikely.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:27 pm

I always clean from the chamber end if I can. When I cant I use the Otis system. Especially on a lever gun. I don't like pushing the fouling into the action area. I don't always clean after every range session if I don't shoot that many rounds thru the gun. Im a little more lax on the 22's also than I am on the center fires. I use eezox and Hoppes with an occasional kroil. I sometimes shoot lead bullets and get some barrel leading. I use Lemon Pledge on the exterior of all of my guns. I shoot a lot of black powder also and those guns must be cleaned after use if you want to have anything left to shoot in the future. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:14 pm

dasmoeturhead wrote:1st off I was raised by a U.S.M.C. Sargent, who's life revolved around guns, hunting, reloading etc. I was taught to clean my weapons after each use. Right or wrong that's been embedded in my skull since before I can remember.
If I fail to do this I feel the OLD Marine is looking down at me from the Happy Hunting Grounds just shaking his head saying; Boy I thought I taught you better. As such I taught my children the same old fashion ways of days gone by.
When someone picks up one of my firearms, they always comment on how clean they are. I take pride in that.
I don't really own the guns, I'm just the caretaker of them until the next person takes over the job. They will be around for a very long time, and hopefully in the hands of my family for generations to come.
My 20+ years in the USCG also taught me the same principles of weapon cleaning that my Dad instilled in me and my little brother. Just my .02 cents worth.
I am similar. So, I understand. My Dad was a Sailor (gun crew). And, I served in the Navy just past 20 years myself. One thing I did learned from my Father as was while in the Navy: if you take care of your tools, they will take care of you. My wife thinks I go to the extreme on things. But for the past twenty years we have been together, she has not worried about a vehicle or something in the house not working. Things have been ready to operate when called upon which can go unnoticed until required. The moral, cleaning should not hurt it but ensure it is ready for when you want to use it. Just my tidbit.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:47 am

I use a pull-through ... not a bore snake ... after every shooting session. The pull-through is just a nylon cord with a patch on the end, so there's no chance of damaging anything. I use a wet patch first, followed by a dry one.

After several hundred rounds, I'll leave a wet mop in the breech for a while to attack any powder ring that might have formed in the throat area, and then I'll give the bore a few strokes with a nylon brush. If I've neglected to do this for a while, I might get tempted to use a bronze brush.
1 x