Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Clean that bore on the 22's

Tell us how you do it
ronnie
Tenderfoot

Clean that bore on the 22's

Post by ronnie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:05 am

Many different way's of getting there one thing to heed is too much cleaning.More damage has been done by cleaning than shooting.
What is your ritual on getting it done?

R
Last edited by ronnie on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Clean that bore on the 22's

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:21 am

I clean my rifles and hand guns after each time at the range, except the .22 rifles. Those I only clean after several trips.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:29 am

I only wipe down the exterior of my rimfire rifles and don't see a need to clean them.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

I am going to be the odd man out in this one. I clean my rifles, which are many, after about every two boxes of ammo. I have kept track of my best shooters and they shoot their best between 6 to 80 shots and then the groups will start to open up. It may be slightly bigger in size but it is usually always there. It just gets worse from there. It gets bad faster when juggling back and forth with different brands of ammo. Ever research the anatomy of rim fire cartridges? The primer as we all know has no anvil like a center fire. So when the firing pin strikes the rim in order to get friction your powder in the rim has powdered glass in it. Ground glass is known not to be bore friendly. My rifles I at least always run a wet patch through followed by a few clean dry patches. My rifles tend to shoot as well and most the time better than friends I shoot with. It just seems to me you should occasionally clean your barrel with bullets going down the bore with particles of glass in there. I read maybe it was in Precision Shooter, but not sure, that high round rim fire barrels showed a tendency to show more wear at the bottom of the throat and was thought to come from the glass in the primer falling to the bottom of the barrel and the bullet was sanding away at the throat. Maybe this is what started the stuff about cleaning wearing out your barrel. Let your rifle sit around dirty for a while. Then pull a bore snake through from the breach and watch the white looking powdery stuff fly out the end when the bore snake is pulled out. Sure doesn't look like bullet wax to me. I have friends who own some of the rifles just like mine. They NEVER clean their barrels and when we are shooting my rifles will kick their butt and we can trade rifles and then some times the tables are turned. They blame everything except they are to cheap to buy good cleaning supplies. I cleaned a few of their center fires after a few seasons of neglect and the rust in the bore on a couple tore the cleaning patch to shreds. Cleaning your rifle at times will not ruin your barrel if you use a bore guide on your bolt actions or a muzzle protector on your levers. My wife and I shoot off my back porch. I will be shooting and she is sitting there reading a book when she is not wanting to shoot. I will say this CZ or Remington which ever it may be is not doing it today. She will say it might need cleaned. I walk in my gun room and clean the barrel with a wet patch and one pass with a bronze "22" brush and dry the bore and go back out and fire usually only three to five shots and go back to the target and see that same rifle shoot little groups again and shoot bugs off the target that I would have been lucky to hit before cleaning my barrel. I will always keep my 22's clean. Probably going to hear some disagreement on this but that is O.K. YMMV
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:49 pm

bandit1250 wrote:I am going to be the odd man out in this one. I clean my rifles, which are many, after about every two boxes of ammo. I have kept track of my best shooters and they shoot their best between 6 to 80 shots and then the groups will start to open up. It may be slightly bigger in size but it is usually always there. It just gets worse from there. It gets bad faster when juggling back and forth with different brands of ammo. Ever research the anatomy of rim fire cartridges? The primer as we all know has no anvil like a center fire. So when the firing pin strikes the rim in order to get friction your powder in the rim has powdered glass in it. Ground glass is known not to be bore friendly. My rifles I at least always run a wet patch through followed by a few clean dry patches. My rifles tend to shoot as well and most the time better than friends I shoot with. It just seems to me you should occasionally clean your barrel with bullets going down the bore with particles of glass in there. I read maybe it was in Precision Shooter, but not sure, that high round rim fire barrels showed a tendency to show more wear at the bottom of the throat and was thought to come from the glass in the primer falling to the bottom of the barrel and the bullet was sanding away at the throat. Maybe this is what started the stuff about cleaning wearing out your barrel. Let your rifle sit around dirty for a while. Then pull a bore snake through from the breach and watch the white looking powdery stuff fly out the end when the bore snake is pulled out. Sure doesn't look like bullet wax to me. I have friends who own some of the rifles just like mine. They NEVER clean their barrels and when we are shooting my rifles will kick their butt and we can trade rifles and then some times the tables are turned. They blame everything except they are to cheap to buy good cleaning supplies. I cleaned a few of their center fires after a few seasons of neglect and the rust in the bore on a couple tore the cleaning patch to shreds. Cleaning your rifle at times will not ruin your barrel if you use a bore guide on your bolt actions or a muzzle protector on your levers. My wife and I shoot off my back porch. I will be shooting and she is sitting there reading a book when she is not wanting to shoot. I will say this CZ or Remington which ever it may be is not doing it today. She will say it might need cleaned. I walk in my gun room and clean the barrel with a wet patch and one pass with a bronze "22" brush and dry the bore and go back out and fire usually only three to five shots and go back to the target and see that same rifle shoot little groups again and shoot bugs off the target that I would have been lucky to hit before cleaning my barrel. I will always keep my 22's clean. Probably going to hear some disagreement on this but that is O.K. YMMV
Thanks for the reply. I've never bothered cleaning mine and haven't noticed any changes in group size in some rifles with more than 100,000 rounds through it. But many of those rifles were never all that accurate in the first place especially with the ammo I was using at the time. I mean if a rifle can only do a two inch group at 25 yards is a two and a quarter inch group all that bad?

But now that I own some CZ's and shooting premium ammo I'm going to give some thought to what you just said. Some of my rifles will do quarter inch groups at 50 yards and adding another quarter inch to that is doubling the group.

By the way I have a couple Small Game Carbines that will come close to the CZ's. They are far more accurate than the Classic, Frontier and other H001's.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Sir Henry, I am talking more about CZ's and Remington bolt rifles that shoot very well. I fully understand what you are saying about rifles that shoot rather large groups not really seeing any difference. Just last week a friend stopped by and I was shooting my wife's Marlin 39M that had a red dot on it last winter and I shot the h--- out of it when I went out in the snow and shot empty shot shell hulls. Put a scope on and was shooting 25 yds. That thing was horrible compared to how well it usually shoots. My friend said what are you shooting. I told him my wife's 39M. I think the scope I put on is bad. So I switched it out and nothing was any better. Then it hit me I had not cleaned that gun for quite some time because it was what I was taking out all the time. So I cleaned it my normal way and the patches came out with tiny pieces of lead on them. I showed them to my friend and he couldn't believe it. I went back on to my bench on the porch and shot 8 shots at 25 yds. with the Tac 22 that was about the size of a 35 cal. bullet hole. My friend said to me "Sell me that gun." I said hers are not for sale so I've been told. Amazing how that rifle was leaded shooting maybe 300 rounds of Blazers through it. My CZ's like to be cleaned when using Tac 22. Sir Henry do your own tests and keep some records on your CZ's and those Henry's you said that shoot real well with the Tac 22 on where they start grouping the best after cleaning and how many rounds before you see any change in group size. Mine average from about 6 shots to about 80 for best accuracy so I never hardly ever go more than 100 unless just plinking around where groups mean little. By the way you have some terrific shooters in your Henry's to hang there with the CZ's. None of mine have a prayer against most of my bolt rifles. Ever try different torque on your CZ action screws? Sometimes amazing things happen when changing the torque on those screws. Take care and shoot often.
1 x

ronnie
Tenderfoot

Post by ronnie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:38 pm

I normally don't clean unless i switch ammo and if it groups all is well.I have gone a couple hundred rounds or more until the group opens up somewhat and even then a wet patch with a patch worm then 1/2 doz dry.Nice and small and great results. Now my 17hmr gets more attention.
But the 22 lr are low maintenance.My CZ scout will easily go more than 200 rounds.All I shoot at paper with are all CZ's

http://www.patchworm.com/index.htm

R
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:44 pm

bandit1250 wrote:Sir Henry, I am talking more about CZ's and Remington bolt rifles that shoot very well. I fully understand what you are saying about rifles that shoot rather large groups not really seeing any difference. Just last week a friend stopped by and I was shooting my wife's Marlin 39M that had a red dot on it last winter and I shot the h--- out of it when I went out in the snow and shot empty shot shell hulls. Put a scope on and was shooting 25 yds. That thing was horrible compared to how well it usually shoots. My friend said what are you shooting. I told him my wife's 39M. I think the scope I put on is bad. So I switched it out and nothing was any better. Then it hit me I had not cleaned that gun for quite some time because it was what I was taking out all the time. So I cleaned it my normal way and the patches came out with tiny pieces of lead on them. I showed them to my friend and he couldn't believe it. I went back on to my bench on the porch and shot 8 shots at 25 yds. with the Tac 22 that was about the size of a 35 cal. bullet hole. My friend said to me "Sell me that gun." I said hers are not for sale so I've been told. Amazing how that rifle was leaded shooting maybe 300 rounds of Blazers through it. My CZ's like to be cleaned when using Tac 22. Sir Henry do your own tests and keep some records on your CZ's and those Henry's you said that shoot real well with the Tac 22 on where they start grouping the best after cleaning and how many rounds before you see any change in group size. Mine average from about 6 shots to about 80 for best accuracy so I never hardly ever go more than 100 unless just plinking around where groups mean little. By the way you have some terrific shooters in your Henry's to hang there with the CZ's. None of mine have a prayer against most of my bolt rifles. Ever try different torque on your CZ action screws? Sometimes amazing things happen when changing the torque on those screws. Take care and shoot often.
Most of my shooting now is with standard velocity lead round nose and I don't have leading issues. If I switch back and forth with high velocity plated (washed) I sometimes get a little.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Bandit,
Very interesting about the glass in the primers. I would think that it would be better to clean from the muzzle toward the breach if the chamber is the source of the glass. I have two S&W K-122's, a 1931 Outdoorsman and a 17-4. They both have tight chambers and have to be swabbed out after about 50 or 60 shots.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:03 pm

I mostly clean my rifles and pistols after each shooting session. Unless it was a light day and I'll be back shooting within a day or two. I'm old school and have had my cleaning stuff for years. So I clean from the muzzle and do it carefully. I normally use old Hoppes #9.
I run a wet patch through the bore.
Then dip a brass brush in solvent and run that through and back a few times.
Then another wet patch.
Then follow with double dry patches about 3 times.
If the 3rd dry patch is still dirty I'll repeat. and maybe repeat again.
Final is a patch wet with gun oil or Ballistol to keep the bore from rusting.

I always run a dry patch through the bore before shooting to wipe out the oil.

My bores all look and shoot great. I use a soft rod and my muzzle crowns are like new.

On the exterior of my Henry's I wipe the rifles down with "Johnson's Paste Wax" in the yellow can. This is furniture wax not car wax. Then buff them. They look great and don't rust. I use it on everything. Wood, Brass, blued metal.

It works for me. :D

Lately I've tried using Ballistol. It works well. But irritates my nose.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.