Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Clean that bore on the 22's

Tell us how you do it
slofyr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Clean that bore on the 22's

Post by slofyr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:40 pm

As with others in this forum, while in the service I was conditioned to thoroughly clean a weapon after every use. The military reasoning for the obsessive maintenance is to guarantee readiness and reliability. Since those days, my sport has been chasing the 10-ring with quite a number of .22lr handguns and rifles. People who pursue the precision game shoot a lot of rounds every year. 150 rounds of practice every weekend will put over 7000 rounds a year through the gun. Whether a common 22 or $2K+ match gun is it not unusual that they get fired about 1200 times between cleanings. It has been my own experience that groups begin to spread a little at that point. Over that interval the chamber will get fouled with carbon and bullet wax, so it gets brushed about every 500 rounds to prevent failures to feed or eject, but the barrel and action are left alone. A quality 22lr barrel will not lead up like a centerfire barrel with unjacketed ammo, so there is no benefit from cleaning it after every outing. The caveat to that long run is prior detailed cleaning and liberal lube of the action. Military weapons are sparsely lubed to keep them from attracting grit, but a 22lr used on a range doesn’t need to be 'desert ready' and can be kept wet.
0 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:08 am

Sounds like your method works for you, and that's great. However I don't chase the X ring or match shoot with my Silver boy. I use it for just having fun shooting cans, milk jugs, old skillets and what not. Rarely do I shoot paper after the weapon is sighted in.
I do however use this fine little gun to dispatch vermin around my property, and also for squirrels. Now I know shooting vermin and squirrels is not something that is not that important in the grand scheme of things, but when I cycle a live round in the chamber, or pull the trigger I want it to go Bang. In this weapon and all the others I have. I want to know , that if it doesn't go Bang or feed properly it didn't malfunction or even shoot true because of something I didn't do like cleaning it properly.
It doesn't take long to clean a barrel and action on most weapons. Particularly the H004S. After a day of shooting fun the weapon is probably dirty on the outside as well and will require a wipe down, so why not just take it an extra step and run a ram rod down the barrel, or even a boresnake?
When I shoot trap with my Browning Citori 12 gauge I typically shot 3-6 boxes of shells through it. After that much punishment at the end of the day the last thing I want to do is clean 1 or 2 shotguns afterwards, but I do. Its piece of mind for me, and the weapons are always 100% ready to shoot when I pull them out of the safe.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:10 pm

dasmoeturhead wrote:1st off I was raised by a U.S.M.C. Sargent, who's life revolved around guns, hunting, reloading etc. I was taught to clean my weapons after each use. Right or wrong that's been embedded in my skull since before I can remember.
If I fail to do this I feel the OLD Marine is looking down at me from the Happy Hunting Grounds just shaking his head saying; Boy I thought I taught you better. As such I taught my children the same old fashion ways of days gone by.
When someone picks up one of my firearms, they always comment on how clean they are. I take pride in that.
One of your dad's friends want's to take a look to make sure it's clean :D

https://youtu.be/vqZ-mkdp1H0?t=2m10s
0 x

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm

There ready for inspection ;)
1 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Henry88 wrote:One of your dad's friends want's to take a look to make sure it's clean :D
I'm glad my old RSM never had that much time on his hands! :lol:
1 x