Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

screwdrivers

Tell us how you do it
larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

screwdrivers

Post by larry7293 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:59 pm

What size of screwdriver should I use to remove the receiver of my henry H001 rifle? I am assuming I would want a hollow ground tip. Any suggestion on a particular brand to buy would be appreciated. I was thinking about grace screwdrivers but not sure which set to buy.

thanks
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: screwdrivers

Post by PT7 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 pm

I don't have my SGC out of the gun cabinet at the moment, so don't know the specific screwdriver size. But I do have the Grace USA set that has the ones I use on my Henrys. It is product # HG-7, and I bought it a couple of years ago. Check it out. And hopefully someone will chime in with the exact size you need.

Yes, Grace has a lot of set options. I actually called and talked directly to the owner. He was quite helpful in guiding me to the correct set I needed. Also have a set of micro screwdrivers from Grace for all those very tiny screws on revolver sights, etc. Quality equipment, and I like them.
2 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Craftsman makes a good 6 in 1 screwdriver set with bits in each end and it fits firearm and scope screws perfect. Normally automotive tools don't work on firearms but this 41116 screwdriver does.
DSCN8114.JPG
DSCN8115.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PMC
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PMC » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 pm

These are the ones I use
IMG_4340.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 pm

our daughter gave me a GearWrench 39pc. Ratcheting Screwdriver Set ---- http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-89 ... r-set.html ---- the steel bits are the best I have seen, most certainly mechanics quality .... I've used various bits to install scope mounts and rings .... as well as, working on a wide range of other larger and smaller things .... I'm sure there has to be equal or better sets out there but so far this one has performed extremely well
0 x

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:20 am

PT7 wrote:I don't have my SGC out of the gun cabinet at the moment, so don't know the specific screwdriver size. But I do have the Grace USA set that has the ones I use on my Henrys. It is product # HG-7, and I bought it a couple of years ago. Check it out. And hopefully someone will chime in with the exact size you need.

Yes, Grace has a lot of set options. I actually called and talked directly to the owner. He was quite helpful in guiding me to the correct set I needed. Also have a set of micro screwdrivers from Grace for all those very tiny screws on revolver sights, etc. Quality equipment, and I like them.

Isn't the HG-7 set for pistols?
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 am

JEBar wrote:our daughter gave me a GearWrench 39pc. Ratcheting Screwdriver Set ---- http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-89 ... r-set.html ---- the steel bits are the best I have seen, most certainly mechanics quality .... I've used various bits to install scope mounts and rings .... as well as, working on a wide range of other larger and smaller things .... I'm sure there has to be equal or better sets out there but so far this one has performed extremely well
I was thinking they wouldn't work but then after opening the link and looking I would say the bits look a lot like my Craftsman.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:27 am

larry7293 wrote:
PT7 wrote:I don't have my SGC out of the gun cabinet at the moment, so don't know the specific screwdriver size. But I do have the Grace USA set that has the ones I use on my Henrys. It is product # HG-7, and I bought it a couple of years ago. Check it out. And hopefully someone will chime in with the exact size you need.

Isn't the HG-7 set for pistols?

I just went to the Grace USA website. You are correct based on the description of the HG-7 screwdrivers:

GRACE USA 7 Piece Pistolsmith Screwdriver Set
HG-7 -- Grace USA 7 Pc Screwdriver Set is accurately Hollow Ground to fit a wide range of screws found on handguns.

I went with the owner's recommendation for me when I bought this set. I have used these screwdrivers on my Henry Big Boy, two .22 Henrys, and if needed, will use on my current SGC. I've also used it on my revolver. Plus the micro screwdriver set I have works excellently on the very small screws for my Ruger adjustable rear sight. Possibly there are similar screws on my long guns as are included in the HG-7 description for handguns, "a wide range of screws."

I noticed PMC has/uses the Grace HG-8 set....the "original" made by this company. The description shows these screwdrivers meet a wider variety of screw applications. So what is best for you is the way to go. BTW, I especially like wood products, and really like the quality and feel of the wood handles on my two sets. Just an extra for me!

Best on your search!
2 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:41 am

Sir Henry wrote:I was thinking they wouldn't work but then after opening the link and looking I would say the bits look a lot like my Craftsman.
our daughter works for Apex Tools .... while I'm sure that most folks have never heard of them, they control many (if not most) brands of hand tools ---- http://www.apextoolgroup.com/brands-faceting ---- they have an in-house company store that is open once a month where employees can purchase tools that the company needs to move .... from what I understand they select over runs, left overs from tools shows, and such .... the screwdriver set in the link above cost her $5 .... I had her pick up several that well be Christmas presents .. :D .. I've been impressed with GearWrench tools which do come with a lifetime guarantee
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:06 pm

I picked up the basic Weaver set.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Gunsmith- ... r+tool+kit

I think it was around $25 at my LGS. Some don't like the bits style, but the bits look well made and there are a lot of them of different sizes. I can find the right one for all my Henrys and other guns.

I got my buddy the Grace set a couple years ago. He likes them, but I was unimpressed with the machining.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya