Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

screwdrivers

Tell us how you do it
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: screwdrivers

Post by PT7 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 pm

I have two Grace USA gunsmith screwdriver sets, and have used them exclusively on my firearms. Neither are like the set you show with a handle and bits. When I got mine way-back-when, I don't recall seeing bit sets advertised.

All I'd like to say is that I don't think I would work on my firearms with anything but Grace USA tools. Super strong construction, and the wood handles provide an excellent grip. As long as I use the screwdriver that exactly fits the screw I'm working on, I don't even hesitate "going for it." They are that good.

I like the looks of the kit Henry offers, especially that they collaborated with Grace to grind screwdrivers specifically for Henry rifle screw dimensions. It took some research for me to order the correct numbers of the screwdrivers I needed. A ready-made selection of screwdrivers is a great idea.

PT7
JEBar wrote:one of the sets I'm looking at is the Grace USA - Gunsmith 24 Bit Mag Tip Screwdriver Set ====> https://www.amazon.com/Grace-USA-Gunsmi ... driver+set

from what I've seen, Grace doesn't offer many bit driver sets
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:36 pm

buying a set of them and not having the right size bit(s) is most certainly a concern
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:47 pm

grrrrr, I hate when that happens! :twisted:
JEBar wrote:buying a set of them and not having the right size bit(s) is most certainly a concern
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Mags wrote:.
grrrrr, I hate when that happens! :twisted:

sadly, all too well understood
0 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:27 am

JEBar wrote:this thread goes back a ways, I'm looking for recommendations from folks who have used any of the brands covered in this thread or others that haven't .... specifically what I'm looking for a set with well ground, strong, tips
We have an 8 piece Grace set that works well, but we wanted something with more bit selection, so we bit the bullet and got one of Brownell's super sets - which I think is the Cadillac of screw-driver bit sets for gunsmithing. Very well made, lifetime warranty, and made in the USA. I think they are even better than Grace...
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:30 am

tractortad wrote:We have an 8 piece Grace set that works well, but we wanted something with more bit selection, so we bit the bullet and got one of Brownell's super sets - which I think is the Cadillac of screw-driver bit sets for gunsmithing. Very well made, lifetime warranty, and made in the USA. I think they are even better than Grace...
suggestion appreciated .... I'll most certainly take a look
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:46 am

Hey, tractortad. Thanks for the bit tip. I just checked out the Brownells Magna-Tip Super Sets page on their website. There are numerous options for how many bits, handle types, non-magnetic vs. magnetized, etc. Interesting commentary that many folk are looking for even more items and/or options to be made available. Also noticed that most comments were highly complimentary on this product. It would be very interesting, and even kinda fun, to research these options in order to decide which one to get. One option that is a real plus to me is the magnetized set.

I'm wondering something about your post comment where you said you thought this is the "Cadillac" gunsmithing screwdriver set. I've not read very much where there are comparisons of screwdriver brands, so decided to ask you. Why so is this the "Cadillac?"

Thanks for the suggestion. Sure looks like these would be good screwdriver bits.

PT7
tractortad wrote:
JEBar wrote:this thread goes back a ways, I'm looking for recommendations from folks who have used any of the brands covered in this thread or others that haven't .... specifically what I'm looking for a set with well ground, strong, tips
We have an 8 piece Grace set that works well, but we wanted something with more bit selection, so we bit the bullet and got one of Brownell's super sets - which I think is the Cadillac of screw-driver bit sets for gunsmithing. Very well made, lifetime warranty, and made in the USA. I think they are even better than Grace...
0 x

~Пока~

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 am

PT7 wrote:I'm wondering something about your post comment where you said you thought this is the "Cadillac" gunsmithing screwdriver set. I've not read very much where there are comparisons of screwdriver brands, so decided to ask you. Why so is this the "Cadillac?"
Heard it from my local Gunsmith - and after we bought the Brownell's 58 bit superset, I kind of agree with him. We own a lot of hand tools of various makes and quality (old and new Craftsman, Kobalt, Rigid, Snap-on, Milwaukee, DeWalt, S&S, etc.) and this screwdriver set from Brownells is right up there in quality (and price)...
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 am

A gunsmith is a good reviewer, tractortad! And it sound likes you are, too, based on the variety of tools you have and have used.
Thanks. This has overall been an interesting and informative thread for me.

Have a good day.
PT7
tractortad wrote:
PT7 wrote:I'm wondering something about your post comment where you said you thought this is the "Cadillac" gunsmithing screwdriver set. I've not read very much where there are comparisons of screwdriver brands, so decided to ask you. Why so is this the "Cadillac?"
Heard it from my local Gunsmith - and after we bought the Brownell's 58 bit superset, I kind of agree with him. We own a lot of hand tools of various makes and quality (old and new Craftsman, Kobalt, Rigid, Snap-on, Milwaukee, DeWalt, S&S, etc.) and this screwdriver set from Brownells is right up there in quality (and price)...
0 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:42 pm

I am by no means a gunsmith. As a matter of fact, I recently needed something that would work safely for mounting my base and rings on my BBS 357. Paid about $14.00 on a cheap WInchester brand, ( yes, made in China ) and they worked perfectly. For as much as I do, these are fine. I just take my time and be careful. Maybe I'm ignorant but anywhere I can save $$'s and get the job done, I'm OK with that. Also got the Wheeler Fat wrench for correct torque. Is there something I'm missing here ?
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry