Tell us how you do it
Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: 3 in 1 oil

Post by Grunt67 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm

PJM wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:24 am
There are now synthetic gun oils out there that don't change viscosity no matter what the temperature! At least in a temperature you will probably be hunting in. Hoppes is a blended synthetic I believe. Most are more pricey but it's not like you use huge amounts.I just use a q-tip and apply to beariing surfaces only. I started using AMS gun oil which is a full synthetic. late deer hunting this year was 19 degrees all day with frequent snow showers and no issues. During bp season kept in line in truck to avoid sweating from hot to cold and no problems with moving parts. I think most problems come from over lubing rather than oil type.
What PJM said. I've recently started using full synthetic on my guns. Plus, I use Mobil1 in everything I have. Works for me for decades.
I 'm using Super Lube in a squeeze tube, got it at Wally world, I think. A little dab will do ya, with a Q tip.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:16 pm

I'm not too worried about overlubing my guns. Most are used only at the range, and cleaned every trip. I would rather run one a little wet, than a little dry under those conditions. If I lived in a dry, dusty environment and they were outside a lot, then I would go a different route. Had a long discussion last year with a trusted gunsmith about this. He was in full agreement.

I'm not talking about dunking my gun in a vat of oil then shaking it off. My 1911 is wet enough to have some oil creep a little ways from the slide after 100 rounds or so. It's not enough to have oil on my hands after shooting it.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:08 pm

A firearm is not a Formula 1 race car engine.
This is true.

Parts on a gun move relatively slowly and other than maybe some high speed semi autos (or full auto) most non-semi guns benefit from the 'less is more' theory when it comes to oils.

Rem Oil has been my '3 in 1' oil for years and I use it on all my guns - and everything else. Those that were a little 'stiffer' got some Mobile 1 or other synthetic but if the gun operates smoothly as it is REm oil or any guud gu oil is fine.

NOW - I am not a fan of much 'new' and see a lot of new products that offer nothing advantageous over traditional products (including oil) but for guns I did find something that is truly superior than oil.

It is a product called Cherry Balmz Black RIfle Balm. This is their 'basic' product and not just intended for black rifles however it is great stuff. It has the consistency of mayonnaise but ' creamy and stringy' and stays in place with only a little 'creep'. Also it smells great - like cherries!

I can honestly say using this stuff probably doubles the action smoothness over just typical gun oil.
a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:46 pm

Where did Ya find that Ed?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:57 pm

A friend gave me a bottle of it but I am now out and need to find someplace locally that has it or order it online.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:09 pm

https://www.cherrybalmz.com/product-pag ... rifle-balm

One review I read says it works great but for no more than you get for the price of the stuff he questions its worth. Obviously its a personal thing. To each there own.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:25 pm

I've used turbine oil in a pinch.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:26 pm

One review I read says it works great but for no more than you get for the price of the stuff he questions its worth.
Yea it does work great but true on the price.

I may not get anymore because of it.

I might look into it and try to find out what it's made from and maybe brew up a batch myself!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:32 pm

Clicked on that link and when the webpage opened I swear I got a whiff of cherry.
BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:09 pm
https://www.cherrybalmz.com/product-pag ... rifle-balm

One review I read says it works great but for no more than you get for the price of the stuff he questions its worth. Obviously its a personal thing. To each there own.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Well, I got to reading more about this and one report said 'Tetra Grease' was VERY similar to the Cherry Balmz, a lot cheaper and maybe sticks a touch better and is available in LGS, hardware stores etc. so I bought a tube today and will try it out.

I really like the Cherry Balmz but if the Tetra Grease is similar I'll stick with it.

I'll post a report later.
0 x