Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

boresnake

Tell us how you do it
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: boresnake

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:49 am

clovishound wrote:My opinion is that boresnakes don't do that great a job of cleaning. They are good for a quick run through at the range, or if you just want to do a quick clean when you don't have the time to get out the gear. For a good clean, get out the brush and cleaning rods.
agree with a bit of a twist .... I don't like using standard cleaning rods with a lever action rifle .... I don't like the idea of pushing bits of grime down the barrel and into the receiver .... a good while back we purchased an Otis Elite Cleaning System ===> https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Elite-Clean ... eaning+kit <=== after removing all of the brushes that I won't need and adding a few things I do use, it has worked well .... with this kit cables replace the standard cleaning rods .... you insert one end of the cable into the barrel and out the ejection port .... screw in the same brush or patch holder that you'd use with a standard rod and pull the cable out of the barrel .... this way any gunk dislodged is more like to come out the end of the barrel and not get down into the receiver
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:32 pm

I clean from breech to muzzle, when I can. I have several weapons that require major disassembly to do that, so I just clean them from the muzzle end. One I have owned since 1976. I have never had an issue. I do clean the receiver area after cleaning the bore.

I have, however, had issues using only a boresnake to clean the bore. Copper fouling started building up and began affecting accuracy. A good cleaning with a traditional brush and rod system put things right again.

The cables look interesting, but won't allow me to use a jag with these systems. I really like the results I get with a jag.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:37 pm

With rimfire all I ever use is a snake. The fires few times a new snake is run down the bore it is quite tight but after a handful of times it gets a lot easier. I can't remember the last time I used a solid rod and chemicals to clean my Henrys. People say a boresnake won't clean a bore and that might be true but they are great at keeping a clean bore clean. I'll use one every 20 to 50 rounds. It only takes a few seconds.

On a separate note I also use lubed bullets, all from Germany whether they be Norma, Wolf or RWS.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:02 pm

clovishound wrote:The cables look interesting, but won't allow me to use a jag with these systems. I really like the results I get with a jag.
what's a jag ??
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:08 pm

It is an attachment to the rod that is caliber specific. The patch is placed over the rod and the jag is run through the bore. It keeps the cloth pressed up against the sides of the bore. They are normally brass or plastic. I prefer brass. They do a superior job of cleaning lead fouling compared to an eyelet with a patch. They are easier to use as well. No threading the eyelet with a folded patch. The only down side is that if you push one completely through, the patch will fall off and only clean the one push. If you can put your finger over the muzzle, or feel when it goes into the chamber from the muzzle end, you can reverse it before the patch falls off and clean on the push and pull stroke.

https://www.amazon.com/Kleen-Bore-JAG22 ... B0002IMNFK

I highly recommend them. Most gun stores carry them for around $3 - $4. You must have one for each caliber. They also come in sets which covers most popular calibers.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:41 pm

clovishound wrote:It is an attachment to the rod that is caliber specific. The patch is placed over the rod and the jag is run through the bore.
10-4 .... info appreciated ... I've got some plastic ones but the brass is a new gizmo to me .... if you can push it through and the pull it back with a rod, it seems logical you could pull it through backward with a cable .... I'll be on the lookout for some in the calibers we use
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:58 pm

JEBar wrote:
clovishound wrote:It is an attachment to the rod that is caliber specific. The patch is placed over the rod and the jag is run through the bore.
10-4 .... info appreciated ... I've got some plastic ones but the brass is a new gizmo to me .... if you can push it through and the pull it back with a rod, it seems logical you could pull it through backward with a cable .... I'll be on the lookout for some in the calibers we use
They are made to lay the patch over and then push through. The way to use one on the pull stroke is to not let the jag come completely out of the bore before reversing direction. The only way I believe you could use a jag on a cable is to cut a small slit in the middle of the patch. Push the threaded end of the jag through the hole in the patch, then screw it onto the cable end. Then pull through the bore. You would have to remove and then reinstall the jag every time you use a new patch. Too much trouble in my book.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:09 pm

clovishound wrote:They are made to lay the patch over and then push through. The way to use one on the pull stroke is to not let the jag come completely out of the bore before reversing direction. The only way I believe you could use a jag on a cable is to cut a small slit in the middle of the patch. Push the threaded end of the jag through the hole in the patch, then screw it onto the cable end. Then pull through the bore. You would have to remove and then reinstall the jag every time you use a new patch. Too much trouble in my book.
makes sense .... that's what I have to do now so as to try and pull all of the grime out of the barrel and not let it drop down into the receiver ....
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:42 pm

I've been using the brass jags on all my handguns and rifles since I became a gun-cleaning nut. They do a good job.

I also found a new-to-me jag to use on my 20-ga pump shotgun.
SG jag.jpg
This is the first shotgun I've had with chokes. From the receiver end using my cleaning rod, this plastic jag "collapses" when it encounters the choke. The collapsing both allows the jag to get passed the choke and at the same time cleaning it. I only wonder how long the plastic will last, but I like the way it works. There sure are a lot of cleaning accessories out there!

JEBar wrote:10-4 .... info appreciated ... I've got some plastic ones but the brass is a new gizmo to me ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:55 am

per Spock, fascinating .... looking forward to your use updates
0 x