Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Original Bluing Stain

Tell us how you do it
IronSights546
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New Original Bluing Stain

Post by IronSights546 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:10 am

Greetings! New to the forum but based on the posts I’ve read, I’m sure I’ll get expert advise. Proud owner of three Henry’s and two Marlins. I treated myself to a gorgeous Iron Frame New Original and am puzzled with the bluing on the barrel. Before firing, the rifle went back to Henry with a very stiff action and a spot on the barrel (looked like a clamp mark). Seamless process and got it back in 7 days
. Just got it back yesterday and the action is insanely smooth. Rifle received a new barrel, but now I’m spotting a new issue. It almost looks like it was hit with an aggressive solvent and left to dry or was just a bad bluing. Tried cleaning it with mild soap and water, soft wipe with Gun Scrubber (Henry approved) and finally rubbed it down well with my silicone cloth. While the silicone is helping to mask the spots, trying this determine if it should try another solvent or send it back to Henry again. Frustrating because the fancy barrels on my Golden Boy and Frontier are flawless. I would think this would have been caught before being boxed up. Thoughts? Hoping this is something I can clean up or polish out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New Original Bluing Stain

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:15 am

First a big welcome from Va.! That is a high dollar Henry rifle and I would send it back and get it taken care of.
Have you shot it yet?
0 x

IronSights546
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by IronSights546 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:26 am

Thank you Sir! Gorgeous rifle and unfortunately hasn’t made it to the range yet as I sort through these issues. Nicest stock I’ve ever held and the receiver pairs perfectly. I’ve already got a message out to Henry for guidance. I just dread the back and forth with UPS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:34 am

Welcome to the forum from CT. That is one beautiful piece of wood! Please let us know how Henry responds. It does appear to be blemished.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:48 am

Yes welcome aboard. Hoping you get it worked out soon.
Man that is a gorgeous piece of lumber.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:51 am

And I like that gunrack, any chance we could see the whole thing?

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum and I like the rack to. As much as those guns cost I would send it back also. I would wrap it in bubble wrap for the trip inside the Henry box. Im sure Henry would also send you a box. They sent us one upon request for the recall of the single shots. Very nice looking Henry.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

IronSights546
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by IronSights546 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:04 am

Sure thing. The rack is my creation and the canvas came from PrintArt. Someone may comment that an 1860 rifle is not period to 1776, but I feel it’s a good representation of what we have going on right now. Also including a close up of the stain after I worked it over with silicone and wiped dry with microfiber. Can’t see it unless the lighting and angle is perfect. Really hoping that Henry tells me that I can hit with a solvent or even a light buff of Flitz, but not touching it until they call on Monday. Does anyone know how they mount the barrel? Wondering if this is a stain from any type or sealant they use.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:09 am

welcome indeed .... delighted to have you join our forum .... your Henry is beautiful, as is your display .... I have no doubt that they will resolve the bluing issue .... please keep us informed along the way .... be sure to follow the link below to where you can add all 3 of your Henry rifles to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 94#p158794
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Welcome from Alberta. I hope you get it sorted out too, but for the money they get for those rifles, I would not hesitate to send it back again until it looks perfect.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully