Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A superior Hoppe's? -- #9 versus #9 Synthetic?

Tell us how you do it
Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: A superior Hoppe's? -- #9 versus #9 Synthetic?

Post by Rugerfanboy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:29 am

My biggest issue with Hoppe's #9....it stinks to high heaven....plus it's way over priced. For the price that is charged....you'd think it would clean twice as good in half the time....but it doesn't. I'll stick with my Seafoam. $7 for 16 FL oz's and it doesn't stink one bit....which makes the wife happy. And it cleans just as good as Hoppe's #9 and it's cheaper per FL oz's. :D
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:24 am

Really appreciate this thread with its tips, contents info, suggestions, etc...more than I expected. Lot of experienced Henry Folk around here.

Thought I would sum up with the fact that I bought a bottle of the #9 Synthetic to try out. Been having some challenges cleaning one of my barrels. Here was my experience this week.

I especially liked clovishound's suggestion to put the Hoppes into a smaller container, which I have done since the first time I knocked over a bottle and filled the neighborhood with that Hoppes "fragrance." So had the new expensive bottle opened and ready to pour some into a smaller container; then....Reached for the Hoppes, and yup, bumped the bottle and spilled about 80% out!!! :oops:

Now I know for sure why a person doesn't need to buy the more expensive Synthetic stuff. ;)
Have a great day, Everyone.
1 x

~Пока~

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:20 pm

PT7 wrote:Really appreciate this thread with its tips, contents info, suggestions, etc...more than I expected. Lot of experienced Henry Folk around here.

Thought I would sum up with the fact that I bought a bottle of the #9 Synthetic to try out. Been having some challenges cleaning one of my barrels. Here was my experience this week.

I especially liked clovishound's suggestion to put the Hoppes into a smaller container, which I have done since the first time I knocked over a bottle and filled the neighborhood with that Hoppes "fragrance." So had the new expensive bottle opened and ready to pour some into a smaller container; then....Reached for the Hoppes, and yup, bumped the bottle and spilled about 80% out!!! :oops:

Now I know for sure why a person doesn't need to buy the more expensive Synthetic stuff. ;)
Have a great day, Everyone.
Wow....you just made me laugh really hard...lol. :lol: :mrgreen: :D

Clearly....another reason why I really like this forum board....!!! Overall....just good folks....!!! :mrgreen:
1 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:04 pm

Well, I used up the last of the Rem oil the other day and filled the old container with #9. I used it to clean my 20 gauge O/U. I liked it. I really hate trying to soak a patch when the bottle gets below half full. I normally use a jag vs an eyelet, so squirting it on the patch worked like a charm. Unless I spill the whole bottle trying to pour it into the tiny little bottle, it should make a bottle last much longer. I use what I need instead of having a dripping patch.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:30 pm

What excuses do you guys use for when you stink up the house with the hoppe's #9 cleaner...??? Cause anyone that knows how bad hoppe's #9 is....has to have some type of excuse for when the wife hits the roof.
0 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:49 pm

I know a few folks that link the smell of Hoppes #9 to their childhood and therefore enjoy the smell!
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:23 pm

I actually don't mind the smell either, sorta like it :D but I take the used patches and put them in the trash in the garage to make my wife happy. As far as knocking over the open bottle after applying some to a patch and spilling half the contents, which I have done, I have learned to put the top back on as soon as I apply it, no matter how often I put it on a patch during any given cleaning.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Rugerfanboy wrote:What excuses do you guys use for when you stink up the house with the hoppe's #9 cleaner...??? Cause anyone that knows how bad hoppe's #9 is....has to have some type of excuse for when the wife hits the roof.
"Nobody forced you to marry a cowboy."
- manure, leather, gunpowder and Hoppes; it all came with the deal.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:54 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Rugerfanboy wrote:What excuses do you guys use for when you stink up the house with the hoppe's #9 cleaner...??? Cause anyone that knows how bad hoppe's #9 is....has to have some type of excuse for when the wife hits the roof.
"Nobody forced you to marry a cowboy."
- manure, leather, gunpowder and Hoppes; it all came with the deal.
These two had an impact on my life in many ways. :D ;) :mrgreen:
Sorry....couldn't resist...!!!
Elmer Keith
Big Bore.jpg
Doc Holiday
im-your-huckleberry-o0aehf.jpg
3 x

1911ly
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 1911ly » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:41 pm

I love the smell of Hoppe's. My son does too. I guess it's a real man's thing. :lol:
1 x
I hate political correctness!!