Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ballistol

Tell us how you do it
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Ballistol

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:57 pm

I think I'm convinced that Ballistol is a great product. Plan to clean all my other arms with it and then do a reverse comparison. We'll see if the patches come out clean. ( experiment, just to be fair ). Pretty sure what the outcome will be.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:12 pm

agree .... over time I've tried it both ways on several occasions .... I've even tried cleaning with Ballistol and do so again a few days later .... it is rare to see a patch come out perfectly clean .... I believe it possible that the barrel is really clean and what shows on the patch is a reaction between two different cleaning chemicals .... from looking at the picture of the patch you posted, it really doesn't look anywhere near as dirty as some I've seen .... my compliments on your bore cleaning .... in short, I'd consider your revolver to have been pretty dang clean .... also what I can say is I tend to see darker patches when cleaning with Ballistol after the barrel had been cleaned with some other product .... in addition, I've found that the more times it has been cleaned with Ballistol the cleaner it gets and the easier it is to maintain ....
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks JEBar, you make a lot of sense! Thanks for the compliment on my cleaning! I will continue with Ballistol and can't wait to see the results from all the others I thought were clean. Rifles, shotguns, pistol and wheel guns.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Joe.45
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Joe.45 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:03 am

I started using nothing but Ballistol for all my gun needs about 7 years ago. Before that I used brake free. I live in South Florida where is hot and humid year round and I have never had any rust on any of my guns with any of the 2 products mentioned above.
5 x
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
H006M; H006MR; H001T; H004; another H001T

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Ballistol

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Don't remember who first recommended this stuff, but I've been using it ever since on many things. Amazing product! Has not let me down yet from gun applications to simple lubrication and protection. The uses greatly out weigh the strange smell. :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 pm

NOTE : to provide the most, easily accessible info, the following recent post have been merged with an older thread on the same topic
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm

JEBar wrote:here's a link to a thread about Ballistol that was started back in the early days of our forum ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =ballistol .... it consistently performs well for us
Thanks Jim for guiding me back to that thread, enjoyed reading it again. Just took a while using it to realize how much I like it.
Should've just done a search. Was on my mind though, given bad back tonite, sitting here wiping things down. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

servant824
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by servant824 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Ive used an awful lot of Ballistol. I usually have some on hand. I used it more for cleaning muzzleloaders than anything. Its a good black powder solvent when mixed with water. Its ok for smokeless powder fouling. And I think its ok for lube. It really is a do all type of firearm care. A jack of all trades but a master of none. It does a lot of things fairly well. I think there are much better products out there for rust prevention. It wont remove copper fouling. I dont think its better than Hoppes for powder fouling either. Its awesome as a leather treatment. It wont make me replace a lot of the stuff I use now for gun care. But I have it if I run out of something else. And for those who love it. The best way Ive found to buy is in the 16oz liquid cans with the trigger spray not the aerosol. Track of the Wolf always has it and I usually bought a can or 2 every time I ordered from there which was a lot. Been using it for quite a while and worthwhile to always have some around.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 pm

servant824 wrote:Ive used an awful lot of Ballistol. I usually have some on hand. I used it more for cleaning muzzleloaders than anything. Its a good black powder solvent when mixed with water. Its ok for smokeless powder fouling. And I think its ok for lube. It really is a do all type of firearm care. A jack of all trades but a master of none. It does a lot of things fairly well. I think there are much better products out there for rust prevention. It wont remove copper fouling. I dont think its better than Hoppes for powder fouling either. Its awesome as a leather treatment. It wont make me replace a lot of the stuff I use now for gun care. But I have it if I run out of something else. And for those who love it. The best way Ive found to buy is in the 16oz liquid cans with the trigger spray not the aerosol. Track of the Wolf always has it and I usually bought a can or 2 every time I ordered from there which was a lot. Been using it for quite a while and worthwhile to always have some around.
I've been wiping down guns, leather, wood and rubber/synthetics. Working very well with no adverse affects..all good so far.
I soaked my Victorinox multi tool in it...works like new now! Also lubed my course feeling safe door mechanism, works like silk now. Soo as a lubricant,,,we'll see how long it lasts, but for now, I have been impressed.
So far, to me it's one go to product, which makes my life easier. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 pm

I like Balistol for the outside of a rifle and AMSoil gun cleaner on the inside.
Balistol for all my gun and knife leather.
Kind of like the smell now.
0 x
Pax at Justitia